Ouch, that hurt!

Rio has been selected as the city to host the 2016 Olympics. In a stunning turn of events, Chicago was eliminated in the first round. That wasn’t just losing a vote. That was a bitch slap of humiliating devastation.

It sure made for some interesting talk this afternoon as analysis began on why we lost.

First we have geopolitics. We’re getting the blame for the global financial crisis plus there are two unpopular wars we’re fighting. Then there are those who go farther saying that this is just more evidence of anti-Americanism. Republicans are making light of this saying that the IOC are a bunch of racists—a reference to themselves being tarred and feathered with this accusation because they don’t support Obama.

There is also the “why-not-Rio” factor. There’s the fact that the Olympics haven’t gone to South America and as President Lula mentioned in his speech, bringing the games to Rio opens the games to the masses down there (well at least the ones that can afford it).

Perception of the city was also being brought up. Given the fact that Chicago residents are about evenly split in support of the games, and the recent beatings that have been played in the news, might have scared off some votes. While I could entertain the first, I’m not sure the “crime wave” has much to do with it. I mean just look at the murder stats: a few hundred in Chicago versus thousands in Rio annually.

It’s tough not to take this personally. I suppose the silver lining is that we’re not going to be on the hook for cost overruns and the Chicago political elite are going to have to dip into some other people’s pockets for their money. Still, having the games would have been beautiful. And as Roe said, now we’re going to have world class competitions in a place where you can’t even flush down toilet paper!

Comments

john said…
I thought Chicago had a good chance and I was quite devastated at the outcome.
Kapitano said…
Malkin and Limbaugh seemed rather...pleased that Chicago lost. Or rather, pleased that Obama's bid failed.

Probably not the best calculated response.
David said…
^Right. They are glad that Obama is getting a little humiliation. Not that Chicago necessarily lost the bid. You've got a bunch of people who are no longer in power and this is the silver lining. As for a calculated response, Malkin and Limbaugh (who you framed through another pundit--Maddow) don't calculate their response. They preach to the choir.
David said…
@John: I wanted Chicago to have it so bad. I was sitting there at my desk, listening on the radio when they announced that Chicago was eliminated. It took me a second to process what the guy said and I was hoping that I misheard him. Even the radio hosts had to take that WTF second before they confirmed it. I was pissed and if it were, I would have liked to reach through the speakers and punch Rogge in the nose. (This is why I should never be elected to office or be given access to the big red button.)
Stacey said…
i always get my news from you!! how disappointing! i was so excited and wanted chicago to get it so badly.. it would have been so cool to have it in our backyard! tear...
Really sad Chicago missed out.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!