Files

Oh how I hate files. Lately, I think that files have pretty much become part of my life. When I'm at work, all I do is deal with files. When I come home, I try and mess with files on my new computer (because file transfers--especially media files--can't simply be copied over).

I had meant to do my taxes today but I was missing my 1099-DIV. When January rolled around, I consciously made sure to keep my W-2s separate because I knew that keeping track of three pieces of paper in my regular file folders would be too complicated for me. So those W-2s were put together with my federal and state tax booklets and in my desk. What I failed to think of was my 1099. So I had to hunt that sucker down in my file folders which is stuffed with all kinds of statements, receipts, and a bunch of other crap. I couldn't find it in the 15 or so minutes I spent looking for it so I just dumped out the whole thing and started over. It's done now and my 1099 is safely together with the other tax documents waiting for me tomorrow.

With that done, I wanted to veg out with my computer. My iTunes folder and other music were transfered over to this new computer but it's all fouled up. I've got incomplete and duplicate files. My libraries and play lists didn't transfer over--It's a mess. So I thought that I would just wipe out iTunes and rebuild it--a process that is going to take weeks.

I've got all my files dumped into iTunes now. I have to 1.) Compare what I have in this iTunes with the one on my old computer to spot any files that I may be missing. 2.) Add files that I may be missing. 3.)Delete duplicate files and track down where in the computer they are hiding. 4.) Recategorize my files and add any missing metadata that may have disappeared and then finally, 5.) sync up my iPod.

Since quite a bit of my files are wma files, I have to convert them and I found out that my search function in Vista is not finding those files. You see, the search function searches "indexed" locations. It's meant to make searching faster since it doesn't look in locations where normal files are kept. What I don't get is that my documents folder (and thus, my music/video folder) is a location that is marked as index. And yet, the files I want aren't showing up. It's not a big deal since the normal search function works, it just takes longer. Still, it's another Vista complaint that I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?