How badly do you want to get home?

American Airlines is supposed to get back to normal flight operations today but since this whole fiasco started, I’ve been wondering about something. Now we’d all like to be sure that the planes that we are traveling are safe so you have to give some credit to the airlines for these inspections. However, it still pisses people off that a massive cancellation of flights had to happen. I’m sure that if these cancellations were not made, the number of planes falling out of the sky would not have been significantly higher than any other day.

What I was wondering was this: Say you are a passenger for American Airlines and you get up to the departure desk and the attendants says, “We have a potential issue with our planes and they should be inspected to make sure that they are safe for travel. However, it’s a small issue and unlikely to be a problem. If you and enough of the other passengers sign off on this release form, then we’d be happy to fly you to your destination.” Let’s just ignore the legal ramifications of that. Now facing a small chance of dying or going with a delay of travel that could last over a day--would you sign?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think the chances of one of AA's flights crashing are negligible. I have done way more dangerous things, so I would take one of those flights in a heartbeat (hopefully not my last... ;-) )
QuakerJono said…
I would be the exact opposite of Oscar. Fix it, fix it, fix it! I don't care how long it takes, but I ain't singing anything and fix your damn plane!!! I hate flying, I hate being out of control and I hate heights. So if they said they had even the slightest of issues with their plane, I would gladly stay on the ground while they completely fixed the problem rather than take any more risk than I have to.

Seriously, the last time I was on a flight, we sat on the runway for four hours while they figured out what the issue with a fuel tank was or something and while everyone else was getting angrier and angrier I maintained a zen like calm knowing I would rather be sitting here on the ground when the plane flushes out all of its fuel than way up in the sky and listening to the pilot come on the speakers to say, "Ladies and gentlemen, I sincerely hope you've lived a life without regret...".
David said…
Honestly, I'd be comfortable taking the risk.

Have you two heard about the plane that lost it's winglet and it still flew transcontinental? I think I'd be more freaked out about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?