A Subconcious Pick

It's Superbowl Sunday! Yaaa...er... oh, that's right, I don't watch pro football.

Superbowl XLII puts the New England Patriots against the New York Giants. I pay scant attention to the Patriots but only because they are "giants" in in the world of football. The come into the Superbowl undefeated which I hear hasn't occured since the 70's by the Miami Dolphins. As for the New York Giants, they only come on my radar because of Eli Manning.

I don't really have any interest in either the Patriots or the Giants. And until last night, I wasn't going to root for either one of them. Superbowl Sunday would just be an excuse to overeat and laugh at commercials. However, last night I had a dream: Eli and I know each other. Not in the buddy-buddy, always hanging out way but in a distant confidant way. We are old buddies that now live in different parts of the country but we keep in contact. I got a letter from him and in it he detailed some of the problems he is currently going through. (Don't worry Eli, I'm not going to tell them) His soul-baring letter made him less of a super-athlete and more of a human being. I was touched.

Okay back to real life. I really don't know much about Eli Manning (pictured on the left) but from what I do know, I like him. His brother, Peyton (on the right) is like a sports god around these parts because he QBs for the Colts. It's safe to say that I like both of them. I don't feel that way for Tom Brady who QBs for the Patriots. Although a stellar athlete, the fact that he played for Michigan pretty much kills it for me.

So because a dream and the fact that the Patriots are a bunch of favored smug asshats, I am putting all my support (so much as it is) behind the Giants.

* * *

Around these parts, if you watch pro-football you are likely to fall into two camps: the Chicago Bears or the Indianapolis Colts. Of course you've got your weirdos that go for the Green Bay Packers or the Detroit Lions but they are relatively few. If I was to say that I "fan" of any of them, I'd have to say "Da Bears." But I'm a college football watcher so it's probably an insult to real Bears fans. I did, though, have to show the Superbowl Shuffle:

h/t to jlink1985 who posted it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
For those of us that live near and work in Indy if you're not participating in "Blue Friday" you are shunned. Work dresscode be damned, you had better be in blue. I was in for a shock when we movered here last year as Jed and I don't watch pro football.
David said…
Blue, blue, white, white!

Whatever, you know I never was enthusiastic about that.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?