The other side of my world.

I could show you more of my home than you'd ever want to know. But let me show you my home away from home:

Welcome to San Fernando, La Union. It is a provincial capital located on the Island of Luzon in the Republic of the Philippines. It is also my home away from home. Both my mother and my step mother have family here.

I have been here four times. First when I was a baby. Second, when I was seven and my dad got another tour at Wallace Air Base. Third on a family visit in 1999. And the last, where all this media came from, in 2003 when I was on a Study Abroad program with the University of the Philippines, Los BaƱos which is about a days drive to the south.

Because of the time and costs, I haven't been able to visit as much as I would like. I am actually more comfortable here than anywhere else in the country and have no worries about wandering around the city on my own--even though it would be smarter of me if I didn't.

Since a couple people liked the vidcast, I thought I'd share two clips. This first one was taken at the Friendship Pagoda which looks over San Fernando. I have also included some pictures because let's face--movies don't give you the details (or lighting) that you want sometimes.




San Fernando, the southern half. Also seen is Poro Point where Wallace Air Station was located. It has since been returned to the Philippine Gov't.

San Fernando, the northern half.

To see more of San Fernando, see this post.


This was made just for my own amusement when I tried out the video mode on my picture camera. But at least it gives you an idea of where I used to live while I was on Study Abroad. This the roof of Building 2 of the SEARCA International Residence Hall which serves as the patio for Building 3 where I actually lived. Dirt cheap for $80 a month-- and that was in a single. Would've paid $20 more to have toilet seats and toilet paper but anyways....

From the roof you can see this building. It's Baker Hall if memory serves. It was where the Japanese military offices were located for the interned Americans during WWII. Captured military were kept elsewhere. The field where the American civilians were kept and killed is now a commons area. You would be able to see that if it weren't for the buildings and trees.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!

Meet Bob