Uh, call me.

My sister, Kris, got a wireless contract with Alltel the other day. She’s got a nice little phone and a service she’s agreed to keep for two years unless she wants to hand over $200 to break it. When I made the leap from prepay to contract, I was spending about $35 a month in phone cards. I figured that with another $10 a month, I might as well go with a contract. I did and I largely don’t regret it except that I now pay $52/month now. Damn those taxes, fees, and other fine print.

Yesterday, when I went to the Y, I forgot to bring my cell phone with me. Honestly, I get freaked when my phone is not on me or is in a place that I can’t get to it. I mean, what would I do if when my car breaks down? I’d have to go searching for a pay phone. (More than likely, though, someone would probably let me use their cell.) So I walk into the place and scan for the public phone. There isn’t one. I’m stunned. This place needed a public pay phone, I think to myself. Where could I find one? You know, if I need one.

There are only three places in the entire town I know where there are pay phones. 1.) The train station, 2.) The Speedway gas station, and 3.) Wal-mart. Back in the day, when only rich people in the cities could afford those brick type phones, there used to be public pay phones all over the place. I remember using them a couple of times downtown when I was actually living in Niles. When the grant was put to use, they tore them all out. Thinking back on it, it seems like all of them are gone.

Using those phones used to cost 25¢. The last time I used one was at the Niles train station and it cost me $1.75. Luckily, I still had laundry change. Now that everyone and their sister has a cell, I suppose there really isn’t much use for the public pay phone anymore. That’s too bad, because the next time I forget my cell and I get in trouble, I’d rather throw some money in the slot than ask someone if I could use their cell phone. I’m weird like that.

I made it back home from they Y a-okay and so did my car.

Comments

Minge said…
How fabulous to see you in the British telephone box!

I love the way you say cell phone where we say mobile phone.
David said…
^
Well, I gotta give you something, right? ;-D

I think that more and more people are begining to adopt the word "mobile." I still stick with the cell.

The other day, I came across an interesting site and now you've reminded me of it.

http://www.michigannative.com/ma_wordsphrases.shtml

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?