Saturday night relax

After picking myself off the floor following MSU’s loss to UofM, I phoned up Erin to see if we were going to do something that night. Yup. We were going to drown our sorrows away. Er, well my sorrows, she couldn’t give a crap about the MSU/UofM game I suspect.

The Apple Festival was still going on. The festival marks the beginning of fall and is the end of the fair season here in Michiana. It’s the last time to get in all that fair food until next summer. We went on Friday night to see Da Yoopers*. They are a comedy/song group that spoofs Yooper living. Hilarious stuff. That night, we were going to drink. Justin and Carrie, whose wedding we will be attending this Friday, met us at the beer tent (which is more like a corral) around 7ish. We had a couple of Miller Lites which was pretty nasty. But hey, after the first one, the rest go down easily enough. Little mini high school reunions were taking place while we were at the beer tent. I felt a little out of place but I did see a few people I knew from elementary. It got better though when we headed for the Tavern.

There I felt more at ease and was actually able to talk to some other people that I didn’t know. One guy, Jeff, just started talking to me like he had known me all this time. Very sociable. Justin was pretty cool too and we teased him about some wedding details. I got my shots of the night for free. I tried something called a Girl Scout. It was so smooth and tasty, it didn’t even feel like it should have been a shot. Then came the Jaeger bombs that Jeff kindly paid for. Good stuff. Good times—especially when Notre Dame beat Purdue. At least one game I was interested in went right that night.

*For those of you outside of Michigan, a Yooper is a person who is from the Upper Peninsula. If you get out a map, you can see that Michigan consists of the Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula. Yoopers are like hill billies or rednecks to the rest of us in the LP. We just make fun of their accents--the fact that they sound more like Canadians than Americans and other things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?