Movie "Guess Who"

Season and I went out to see a movie at Wonderland last night. There really weren’t any good pickings so I let her decide what she wanted to see. After all, I didn’t care. She went ahead with “Guess Who,” a comedy. The movie is about a white guy (Ashton Kutcher) who meets the family of his black girlfriend. Bernie Mac plays a father who is expecting his daughter to bring home a well-to-do black man but instead gets a white guy.

The movie was entertaining. Most of the comedic situations seemed rehashed but still I got some chuckles out of it. I was entertained by the overprotective father stints. The racial jokes, I still felt uncomfortable with. As some others have already mentioned, this was another “Meet the Parents” movie- just with a new twist.

The issue of interracial marriage is something that still made me uncomfortable. I don’t know why it should since I am the product of one. There was a girl that I would have liked to have dated back in high school. Unfortunately, she wasn’t interested in me. She made a comment way back then that I can still remember with extreme clarity. “My parents would never let me date a black guy. Maybe an Asian…” I didn’t know whether that was good news or not. Should I feel good that I just made her parents’ cut off for tolerance, or should I be pissed that I was near the end of it?

Season has a website dealing with racial issues. If you have the inclination, try out ebonyivoryme.com. They would love to have new signups.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?