My Last Day at the Office

Quiet. My last day was quiet. I don't know if was just my imagination, but my last day was extremely quiet.

I left at the usual time for the bus. For some reason the 8:30 didn't arrive as usual. I leave a few minutes after the 8:20 bus pulls away from the bus stop. So I had to wait until 8:43 (yes I remember the exact time) before another bus came by. That put me about 15 minutes late. What a time to start being late: my last day.

When I got in, Chris smiled and pointed at my watch. To my surprise, Derek was there. He was on time? It's always been the other way around. We made some joking comments. I said something to the effect that I was starting my bad habits-- taking after them.

I finished the pile of papers and the last of my letters. I filed them away. The only thing that I didn't do was respond to Mr. W___ who I find aggravating. He had written earlier, worrying about being shot at by hunters on his land. Apparently he thinks that Michigan laws are supposed to be able to enforce themselves. Well this time, he wanted to know when he was getting broadband. --- Oops! That's what happens when you live out in the boondocks-- you don't get certain services. Anyways, I wrote to him about the initiatives to get broadband out to as many people in Berrien County as profitable. Yes, I mean profitable. He then writes back asking if the initiative is all that smart. WTF? At least we're doing something. I'm sorry if he didn't like DSL, but he doesn't seem to understand that this government doesn't mandate companies to provide services to everyone that requests it. We're not going to tell SBC to connect his home to DSL. We're not going to tell Comcast Cable to expand their lines out to the rural areas where they would probably loose money. If he needs to have broadband, then he's either going to have to move his ass back to town or pay up some big bucks for satellite or T-1.

Now that I've ranted... I cleaned up my area. By the time I was preparing to leave, Chris had left for lunch. I said my goodbye to Derek and he got me a gift. This is where my Filipino side comes out. I said thank you for the gift and I didn't open it until I got home. But I said that I was going to come back next week. I need to get some contact info for them. Plus, I've got to get them something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?