The Queen is Dead.

Queen Elizabeth II died today. It wasn't a surprise as she was up there in years and we have seen her health decline. The last I had heard about her in the news was greeting the new Prime Minister. Then the very last was this morning when it was announced that the palace was concerned about her health and that family were being called in. 

My republican, anti-monarchy views aside, I have, on the whole, viewed the Queen in a positive light. It was evident that she was devoted to her people and her committed to her duty. There was something about her commitment to constitutional monarchism that was comforting but also frustrating. How can remaining above politics be a force for change or for good?

An age ends and another begins. I do not hold hope that King Charles III or Prince William will exude the same aura and presence. No they seem like common folk to me. Queen Elizabeth seems like she was the last of the grand monarchies. The ones shrouded in mystery and magic. And into history those should go.

I will be interested to see how the new king reigns. Will he be reserved like his mother or will he use his power to advocate for the changes he wants? I don't know yet. I'll be watching. Long live the King.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?