I Need a New Car. But Which?

I thought that I might need some new shocks and struts as my car has been making creaking sounds when I go over bumps. Turns out that it is worse than that. $1800 in repairs are needed for not only the shocks but also a pinion something and a bar doo-hickey. I’m now trying to run through a complex decision tree.

Should I junk the car and get a Bolt EUV? There is some inventory but I have to travel hundreds of miles to get them. There is a cash incentive and I would be able to get the tax credit which would be substantial savings. However, I’m not sure I’m ready to go full electric. On occasion, I want to do road trips and with its slow charger and 250 mile range, I don’t want to do it with this vehicle. 

Should I get the repair and order the Ford Escape PHEV? The order bank is open. It becomes a question of how long it the wait will be until I get the car. It could be months before it is ready. However, it will be a plug-in hybrid where I can do my day-to-day commute on electric and fall back on the gas engine when I want to go on those road trips. Plus, this is the vehicle where I can transport my bike or lash a kayak on the top. Yet, I won’t be guaranteed the tax credit as I won’t purchase until 2023. 

I hate that this repair has wiped out a large amount of the savings that I have made for the down payment for the new car. 

It seems like there is always something that sucks out my savings around here! The water heater, the roof, the car. This place is a disaster.

Comments

JM said…
What did you decide?
David said…
I'm going with the repair and wait. I'll be taking in my car to the shop on Wednesday.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?