The Opportunity to Join a Class Action Lawsuit

I got a form in the mail informing me that I was eligible to join in a class action lawsuit. I used to work for a huge retail giant. Let's call it Wally World. Apparently another lawsuit has been filed alleging that Wally World was having its hourly employees work off the clock.

My own personal experiences with the company have, on the whole, been positive and they have made reasonable efforts to make sure that I was paid for my time. Technically, however, there were times when I and others ended up working when we weren't supposed to. Usually it was because we weren't paying attention to the time and we would work into our lunch hour. We'd still punch back in from lunch at our normal time. And even though we are told not to do it, there were instances on our breaks when we would help out customers on the floor if they asked. It's just the neighborly thing to do. Besides, to follow the rules would mean having spend more break time trying to track someone down and probably causing the customer to have a bad impression.

I am hesitant to join in the lawsuit. I feel like I deserve compensation but at the same time what I did came from the kind work ethic I was raised with. I didn't do extra work wanting to be compensated per se but because doing so was the right thing to do.

Heck, I don't work there and I've still helped out their customers. Wally World should really consider bringing back the smocks and making their employees more noticeable, thereby preventing customers from confusing other customers with workers.

Comments

Laurie said…
I agree, I was wearing a light blue polo shirt when I went to Wally world last time and was asked by 4 different people where things were located. Then again, maybe I just look like someone that would work retail.
David said…
Did you help 'em out? I know the Niles one like the back of my hand. Maybe I shop there too much.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!