*Yawn*

I haven’t slept until noon for a long time. I got back home a little late after attending a bachelorette party for Erin that lasted from 12:30pm until 12:30am. Well it ended for me that time because I decided to go home and get some sleep while the rest could have stayed up to play more games, drink, hot tub, hit on men, or whatever.

I was having issues whether I should go or not. I’m a guy and well… it’s just weird. At least that was how I was raised. There were things that only guys did and there were things that only girls did. But what the hell, I’m not exactly living to conform. And it’s not like I was would have been happy trying to go to Jason’s party which I later learned was pretty much a bust.

To start, we went to the Tabor Hill winery for lunch and wine tasting. I’ve been to formal dinners before but I’ve never had wine with my meal. I’m not much of a wine person in the first place but this was an opportunity to try out my dining skills. …Yup—continental still sucks.

Mandie was going to try the escargot that she found on a sample menu that Carrie had brought with us. I freakin’ hungry and I wasn’t in the mood for something so exotic that I might not eat it if I didn’t like it. I was hoping that Mandie would get it. That way, I could get a bite of it. Turns out that snail were not on the menu that day so she settled for a fancy pork chop. I ended up getting what was essentially bison fajitas.

As I’ve said, I’m not a wine drinker so I don’t know what kind of wine to get. I suppose I could have asked the server but it irked me a little that they didn’t help anyone out with the selection. However, I did know (and someone correct me if I’m wrong) that if I was eating beef, I should go for a red wine. So I ended up getting their Red Arrow Red which I think is a Merlot. *shrugs shoulders* I wonder if I made the right choice.

The wine tasting bit was a bit interesting. I only had three tastes but the gals kept asking me to try what they were getting. A lot of it I liked and I probably would have bought a few bottles if I had the money to burn. The Spumanté was especially tasty.

Next to us at the wine tasting bar were some German tourists. I was delighted. I’m glad that tourists from other countries are finding their way to the back country of America.

After that bit, we headed back to Niles to drop off Mrs. B. Erin’s mom wasn’t going to stick around for the evening part. And that’s where I’m gonna end because what happened after that probably shouldn’t be on this blog. It’s pretty embarrassing.

Comments

QuakerJono said…
The general rule is indeed reds for stronger flavors, like beef and game while whites for poultry and fish. It's about taste, though, so stronger fish and poultry work well with reds while a white might pair better with certain cuts or preparations of beef. It all really comes down to your individual taste. Personally, I just drink martinis and leave the wine to others. If you liked the spumante, give a Moscato d'Asti a try. I personally like Bosc. Also remember bars that serve wine flights are your friend.

As for the guy at a bachelorette party thing, I'm totally with you. It's weird, weird as being invited to a baby shower or a wedding shower, and recently I let it be known amongst my friends that I really didn't want to be invited to any of them. I think it's caused some ire, but not as much as I was afraid it would. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Of course, I also find it helps to befriend only chronically single people such as myself or those who have been married for decades. And babies...well, babies just piss me off.
Anonymous said…
Are those little pink penises on her crown?? :-)
I have been part of several bachelorette as well as bachelor parties. I just love attending both! Although I must say that girls tend to be a little more wild than boys... Ha ha.
Nice blog! I'd like to read more, especially the embarrassing part of the evening!
john said…
Escargot is yummy!! It can be filling given the right side dishes.
David said…
@QuakerJono: I thought I already responded to you in regards to this post. Huh. Anyways, I'd be up for trying a martini. I've never had one but that's probably because I've never been in a social scene where they'd be available.

@Oscar:Why, yes, those are penises. It was a themed party. Oh there's so much I could share but it was one of those situations where what was done in that room says in that room--except when it winds up on facebook or other internet sites.

...Which reminds me, I need to go get some pictures back from Carrie...

Thanks for commenting!

@John: And balut is nasty? Am I missing something here?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?