Oooh, this place has carpet.

Fruit Inc. didn't renew their contract with the company that I work for so practically everyone is losing their positions. There's a slow down normally around this year so most of us that work on that project have been farmed out to other projects for other companies. For the past few weeks I've been working in an adjacent building complex. Mostly I've been packing, making boxes, stacking stuff, and gluing pamphlets.

A few days ago, M* came over to the building we were at and pulled all the Fruit project project together. She broke the news that we all were being pulled off the project and that they will try to find positions elsewhere giving priority to the hired in staff and then to the temps. (Two, including myself are hired employees. The rest, five of them, are not.)

I was a little irritated. I know that one the pick pack supervisors had submitted a list of names to the manager for that project to keep on. I was on it. Was I going to be stuck in a building doing pick pack? Oh fuck.

I was notified today to report back to my real supervisor at the Fruit project. When I reported, I got a packet for insurance. No biggie but they weren't done with me. I was led into the administration offices where I met with two ladies. I was given an impromptu interview about joining the admin team doing data entry for them. They asked me if I had done things like filing. (Ha!) I really wish they would have at least given me notice so that I could hand them a resume. I told them what I had done and they seemed genuinely surprised. If what they say is correct, I'll be starting next week and possibly only part time. By the end of the interview, I think that this might actually be a full transfer. So I'm excited. I only wished I remembered what that lady's name was. Ooops.

With the Fruit project being officially declared dead, I went to my cubicle to collect my things. Once it was all clear, I took a picture. It was fun and I'll miss it and I'll miss a lot of the people that I worked with.

I believe I owe a huge amount of thanks to C who went to bat for me. Thank you, C.


This work related post will self-destruct in 5...4...3...2...




*No she is not Judi Dench.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?