How about I help with logistics?

Last night at the book club meeting, I was thinking about asking E about volunteer opportunities that may be available on the weekends. I need something that has some kind of human resources element because it would help me get into a grad program. Grand Valley has one in Grand Rapids and MSU has one in Troy (but, who knows, if I'm good maybe I could get into the one in East Lansing). Before I got around to asking him, he asked something of us.

He works for an organization that deals with AIDS care in the area. What they do is provide testing, counseling, housing, and more. Their funding has been cut back substantially forcing staff cutbacks and there's a real threat of having to close their doors. E told us of a walk that is being planned to raise money. He asked us if we would solicit donations.

I've never been comfortable raising money. When I went through a grant writing section of a college course that I took, I wanted to gouge out my gut. While I think that raising funds for this organization is great, I can't bring myself to say yes. I fear having to go out into the public to beg. I fear interacting with people whose first reaction is to be suspicious and then to try and get through to them with talk of AIDS? Ugh.

I'd like to do something but I don't want to do that. How do you communicate something like that and try not to be a jackass? It sounds like, "I want to help, but I don't want to help that much."

Another minor problem... I don't know if I will be able to do it if it's the day after the wedding.

Comments

Cardinal said…
Don't knock it until you've tried it. If you talk to him about it, he might be able to assuage some of your initial doubts. But even if he doesn't and you stil think you're not cut out for it, at least you looked into it instead of crossing it out right away. And by asking questions, you're showing him that you pay attention to his good works and want to help, but maybe this isn't the best place to focus your energies. You'll never know until you talk about it with him.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?