Must...avert...eyes.

There was an explosive event at work yesterday. Tension between my supervisor and one of my coworkers escalated into a screaming match which almost resulted in the police being called in. Over the past couple weeks or so, the supervisor has been riding the slackers who are not meeting quota. It shouldn't have been a big deal but one girl would just not take the criticism or commands.

So I was there at my station when I suddenly hear this girl starting to raise her voice. Apparently she was getting written up for coming back late from break. My sup tried to get her to calm down but the girl wouldn't so the supervisor told her to get out.

"Am I fired? I'm not leaving until someone tells me I'm fired. I need documentation." Blah, blah, blah.

By now, the whole production floor has gone dead quiet. You knew that everyone was just keeping their heads turned to their work, yet their ears were all pointing towards the two. I wasn't even about to turn around to see what was going on.

Since she refused to go, security came in and told her to leave. But she said that she wasn't going to go without a piece of papers saying that she was fired. She even said that they better call in the police. The security guy said that they didn't need to give her documentation. All that was being told of her was to leave the property. Still she wouldn't go so he went to get his handcuffs. While he was gone. The girl spit on my supervisor and left.

During the monthly meeting today (where I was recognized for being hired--yay!) there was a good 10 minutes devoted to discussion about unacceptable behavior, what will be done, and security procedures. Although they wouldn't discuss the specifics, we did know that a restraining order was put into place.

This whole thing was stupid. All the supervisor wanted was for people to stop goofing off because numbers were slipping. The girl was being written up after multiple warnings. She probably would have three or more write ups to spare before she would have been terminated. It was no big deal but it became one.

Comments

Doug said…
I can see where she's coming from. She'd had enough. It didn't matter how many more write-ups she had left.

It seems like management needs to work on office morale, especially after an incident like that. I'd bet several others will be leaving in the near future.
Leo Carioca said…
Happy New Year, David!
QuakerJono said…
Office fights are always the best. I remember when I was working at The Nationwide Charity That Shall Remain Nameless, we went through a layoff, chopping huge swathes of employees so upper management could maintain their six-figure salaries.

Anywhooo, being in HR, it fell upon me to conduct some "exit interviews" with those unlucky enough to go. One such interview resulted in an employee running through the halls of the office, slamming open doors and shouting at the top of his lungs, "GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!" If I hadn't felt so bad for him (or, frankly, agreed with him), I would have doubled over laughing from the sheer insanity of it.

People react weird at work.
David said…
@Doug: Actually the morale of the place isn't too bad but I suppose a little bit of encouragement could be beneficial.

@Leo Carioca: Thanks! I'm hoping for a great one. Hope all is well down there.

@QuakerJono: It's a bit different and I'd sympathize for your guy but hey, at least he can claim unemployment for a layoff. This girl, though, was asking for it. She was breaking the rules, disrupting the workplace, and then to top it off, she spit in someone's hair.

I can see why places fire people on a Friday.
Anonymous said…
Wow! Screaming and handcuffs?!?! My poor minions er, I mean, employees are really missing out.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?