How do you pronounce this?

Fellow blogger John and I were IMing the other day and he asked me why I using some British slang. I told him that I was using it as a more polite way of cussing and because it was useful for a secondary meaning. I bet you are wondering what I said. --I can't say it here! Actually there are a lot things that I borrow when I speak. A lot of what I do borrow is British but that is because there aren't many other English speaking countries to borrow from. No offense to John P., but Paul Hogan and Steve Irwin do not make me want try out words and phrases from down under. Canadian? Apparently I speak like them already. So there you have it.

It's a bit different but I want to try something with the few foreign readers that I have. Take a look at the following list of names. If you would be so kind, record yourself and send me a copy. I'm interesting in hearing y'all trying to pronounce some of the things that are here in Midwest America.
Cuyahoga
Des Moines
Des Plaines
Illinois
Kalamazoo
Kosciusko
Louisville (I’ll accept two)
Mackinac
Mishawaka
Pulaski
Sault Sainte Marie
Terre Haute
Versailles
Ypsilanti
I'm not sure that I'll get anyone who would want to do this but as a reward, I will send anyone who participates a gift. If you are an non-resident, I will send you a Michigan t-shirt. How does that sound?

Even if I get only one entry, I'll send that person stuff. Don't worry, I won't put your clip on this blog. It'll be for my amusement only. If I do get an entry or hopefully entries, I will make a video post and you can see and hear a Midwesterner in action.

Comments

John Provis said…
Strangely enough most Aussies actively try not to sound like Steve Irwin or Paul Hogan either (except when we're trying to scare tourists)... we do have a few fairly colorful pieces of slang in more active use though, e.g. this lot (warning, crimes against html on that website), or these. And yes, many of them are in common use. For example, "it's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" is a personal favorite.

Also, to have a guess at some of those place names (leaving out the ones where I've been taught how to say them previously) - phonetically or thereabouts, with caps showing stressed syllables:

Cuyahoga - KOO-ya-ho-ga

Des Plaines - first s silent, second one not silent?

Kosciusko - the one in Australia is KOZ-ee-OS-ko, I presume it's similar in the US?

Mishawaka - MISH-uh-WAK-a

Pulaski - Puh-LAS-kee

Terre Haute - TER-ruh Howt

Versailles - to rhyme with smiles, I'd guess?

Ypsilanti - UP-si-LAN-tee

Close-ish?
Kristel said…
You should have put Galien in there too. It gets people every time. :P
David said…
@John Provis: You got two if I'm reading you correctly.

@Kris: I can never see what's in front of me. Besides, that place doesn't deserve any kind of publicity.

You know, I gave myself a kick. I should have put Bremen on the list as well.
Kapitano said…
You can hear my trying to pronounce the place names...here.

Let me know what you think.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?