A $100 Car Wash

Late yesterday and most of the day today I was burning up thinking about my car and how much that POS car was going to cost me.

Yesterday morning, I started the car up to get it warmed while I brushed it off. While I was doing the rear, I heard a pop. It startled me and I looked off towards the back fields. I assumed that it was a gunshot and didn't worry about it. (Yeah... as odd as that is supposed to sound.) Within five minutes I was on my way to work.

That evening on my way home, I started to smell burning oil. Crap that can't be good. When I got home, I popped the hood and nearly shit a brick. My engine block was covered in oil. The hood too. The oil cap had blown off and was lodged between the block and some hoses. I was beyond pissed. Not only had this nixed my plans to go out but it meant that I would need to take it in and get it looked at. There shouldn't be a good reason for an oil cap to come off, right? Plus, if it was from this morning, it means that the engine had a good 50 minutes worth of operation. I have no idea what damage might have been done.

I replaced the cap and wiped down as much oil as could. (It's amazing how fast an engine can cool down in weather like this.) A check of the dipstick that night and this morning showed that I still had plenty of oil left. I dropped it off hoping that all was well and that I was only going to get charged for a cleaning and oil change which I figured to be around $120 in my head

Honestly, I was expecting to be told that I needed to lay a couple thousand down in repairs and I was bracing myself for having to raid my savings of all the cash there and put the remainder on Visa. I was in a serious funk.

Imagine my elation when I found out that there was nothing wrong with my car. Apparently oil caps can come off for no good reasons. So they replaced the oil and cleaned the mess. The bill came to $95. Not only that but the lady that handled me was so freaking sweet. Definitely not one of those fake pleasant people. So I was in a great mood when I left and I broke into a huge smile when "Other Ways" came over my speakers. This day ended completely opposite of what I expected. So now I don't feel like taking a bat to my car.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?