Things That Happened Today

Usually I’m not a big socializer at work considering I am constantly working to fulfill a quota. A special project has come along that doesn’t use any quotas. There’s just a deadline and no one has to worry if we will make it in time. The project itself is pretty brainless so to pass the time away, we were talking with people in two different departments. It was fun.

* * *

I didn’t participate in this one particular one. I just eavesdropped on a conversation that a woman was having with A.

“My son’s almost forty-five and still hasn’t gotten married.”

A. looks up at her as she goes on.

“I think he’s too shy of women. There was this one time he had a girlfriend but it didn’t last too long. I guess she wasn’t good enough for him. I think he may be picky? Whadda you think?”

A. shrugs and turns his face down to his work station to continue work.

“I think his dad might have caused him to be more cautious. The divorce was hard on us and maybe he just doesn’t want to settle down until he’s absolutely sure.”

Usually A. is very talkative but continues to let her speak.

“I don’t know what his problem is.”

A. has a pretty good guess. So do I. If I was in A.’s shoes, I’d probably keep my mouth shut too.

* * *

Some of our work entails processing rejections to foreigners. The project that I am referencing is only for the U.S. and Canada.

Z, shouts over to me: “Is New Mexico foreign?”

I stop. “Are you pulling my leg?”

* * *

Towards the end of the day, M. and I got pretty bored and started asking each other trivia questions.

M: “What’s the capital of North Dakota?”

Me: “Bismarck. Which language is spoken by the most people?”

M: “Chinese (I accept it). What’s the capital of Canada?”

Me: “Ottawa—"*

M: : “--Isn’t it Toronto?”

Me. “Nope. It’s Ottawa. Okay… who is the Queen of Canada?”

M: Looks at me with weirdly. “Canada doesn’t have a Queen.”

Clearly I’m not playing with an Alex Trebek.

* * *

I told L about a dream that I had where M2 was sitting in my cubicle when I come in. He was shirtless.

Sometime during the day, L tells M2 this.

At lunch I sit down and start having my coffee. M2 sits down at the table opposite me as I take a drink. He looks at me and twists his left nipple. Coffee went everywhere. I am mortified.




*Wave to Steven

Comments

Cardinal said…
Nipple twisting is hot.
Anonymous said…
Nipple twisting, indeed...?

David, i think you should take a camcorder to work.
Sooo-this-is-me said…
Woohoo! Good for you on the Ottawa question! Does she not know that Celine Dion is the Queen of Canada, I mean really some people! New Mexico is that what you guys are going to call your country because so many people came over the Mexican border? :P

Steven
Kapitano said…
Hmm. So you noticed that it was specifically his left nipple? You clearly have an eye for detail on some things. ;-).

As for the woman with the son...it seems to be common wisdom that the parents are always the last to work it out.

I was outed to my parents sixteen years ago, and after five years arguing with me about it, they decided to forget they ever knew. So sixteen years after being told, and having met several of my boyfriend, they still haven't worked it out.

Aren't parents great?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?