I’m a monk. What do I know about it?

I had an “interesting” time at Justin and Carrie’s Halloween Party. Actually, I felt like I had stepped in into the twilight zone. For the record I went to the party as a monk.

So I get there and Carrie is there to greet me and take my money. Hey $5 is a deal since they provided everything. Seriously, when they throw a party they get enough booze, food, etc. to go around more than once. But I go downstairs into the “dungeon” where almost everyone is playing Kings. I waited for the next game to start.

While I was sitting there watching and engaging in conversation, they start with the gay jokes. Whatever, I’ll play along.

* * *

After the game ended we broke up and I was in a little group conversation with Ed, Mandie, Karen and one of Karen’s friends whose name I’ve already forgotten. So we are talking about this and that when Ed pipes up.

Ed says to Karen, “You know my buddy Dave here is single.”

Karen looks at me, “Yeah, there’s just one little problem.” Karen knows I’m gay but her friend doesn’t.

Ed: “Just one little problem.”

Karen’s friend looks at me and then to Karen as to confirm if what she’s thinking is truly going on. Karen affirms with, “He’s gay.”

Karen’s friend looks me over and says, “I never would have guessed. And I’m normally good at spotting them.”

Ed says, “He’s one of those straight gays.”

Straight gay?

I pipe in with, “Don’t worry about my gaydar probably misfires more than yours.”

* * *

A little later I find Mandie a little pissed and she speaking quietly with a few other about Erin and Jason. (Erin is her sister) But that’s relevant a little later. What I find out is that Ed has popped the question! Me and Mrs. B. (Mandie and Erin’s Mom) must be thinking alike cause I knew that Ed was a long term thing when I first met him too. And he totally cool. So while we are talking about rings and wedding plans she gets back to Erin. Erin is talking with Jason on marriage too.

I looked at her with probably my most shocked face. “Are you fucking kidding me?”

I’m pissed. Mandie and Ed, I like. Erin and Jason not so much. I don’t get into Erin's relationships but every one of her boyfriends that I’ve met, I knew that they weren’t the ones for her. I like them fine but I just can tell that it’s not a good fit. Of course, I don’t say that to her. She’s got to do what will make her happy and if Jason’s is it…. [inhales through teeth]… then fine. But c’mon! They’ve been dating for three months and now they are talking about a spring wedding? What the hell?

I’m not only mad about that but over the fact that she hasn’t told me any of this. Oh sure, she’ll tell me about the sex life, but don’t you think that maybe she would have been kind enough to let me know what was going on instead of hearing it at a party as gossip?

Anyways, Mandie seemed a little ticked. I don’t blame her. She and Ed have been in a relationship for… a year plus plus. Probably not quite two. And their wedding is probably not going to be until later in next year. The suspicion is that Erin is doing this because she wants to get married before her younger sister.

Oh, I hope she knows what she’s doing. I’ll see if I can bring it up when I see her on Monday. Maybe they were yanking my chain. Cruel, if they are.

* * *

I still suck at pool. But I did get some good shots in.

* * *

Rum and Pepsi are still not as good as Rum and Coke. I don’t really know why. That should be part of the taste test.

* * *

Who invited the 18 year old to a party full of mid twenty somethings to… Batgirl who wouldn’t tell us her age (it’s thirty something)?

Comments

john said…
It's been a long time since I've been to a Halloween party. But I do remember them as being fun.

I often wonder about the validity of a straight person's gaydar. I think that I personally can't fly under one, that I probably pop out.

From your picture and talking to you, you would have completely flown under mine too!
Anonymous said…
"I'm normally good at spotting them..."

People want money from you to go to their party...

Gay jokes.

I don't know what to say.
David said…
^I don't think I've conveyed the right impression to you, Andre. It wasn't a bad situation. No more teasing than you probably do amongst your own friends. It was in good fun and there's no one I enjoy playing it up with more than with Ed. Who, by the way, is the only straight man I know who was willing to kiss me. (Game situation... don't ask.)

As for the money thing. It does sound crass on the surface, but you got to understand that they amount of money that they spend this and New Years runs up into the thousands. When I mention "dungeon" it was just under being real. With all the booze and food you could want plus a place to crash for the night, I don't think that five bucks is too much to ask for.
Kapitano said…
A lot of people seem to get into relationships just to be seen in them. A bit like listening to music you don't care about simply because the cool kids are doing it.

I've certainly seen people get married out of a vague conviction that married life is somehow more fulfilling than single life. And once they are married they swap it for the similar conviction that having secret sex with a third person is more fulfilling than having it with your partner.

And so, I've come to the conclusion that people who don't need their marriages to be happy...have the happier marriages.

So there :-).

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?