Ick Week

I haven’t been in the mood to blog much for the past couple of days. I’ve been stressing over big and small things. Note to self: buy more Clearasil.

I got an email from one of my best friends. I was part of some mass email where she announced to all her friends that she was engaged. (See this post.) I was upset on multiple levels. First, I’m not confident that she’s doing the right thing. I really want to sit her down and question her on why she is marrying a guy she has been dating for only a few months. Second, why am I learning about this by rumor and mass email? I really think her sister may be right—that she is trying to be the first to the altar. She’s probably feeling the pressure as her younger sister is planning for a wedding this summer. You think you know a person and they go right ahead and shock the hell outta you! I haven’t spoken to her since the email. I figure that I have a few more days to digest before she begins to realize that I really am avoiding her. I really don’t know what to say. I want to be supportive but I can’t bring myself to lie and say that I am happy for her.

The thing that really got me biting my nails* was my job. The project that I have been working on dried up with the snap of the fingers. We went from overtime available to having not enough data to process in two days. Since I’m only there if they’ve got work, I got really worried that I was going to be let go. They got rid of the last of the data capture team last week and it was only time before the data processors got hit too. Ruth, the full time who has always been saying “don’t worry, you’ll be hired,” even started saying, “don’t worry, there’s other places." Gulp!

This morning, we came in and there was not enough work to do. For example, a grand total of five faxes came through to be processed. About 15 minutes of work. Honest to God, we were finding every way we could to make sure that we had some work but it was no use. I got kicked out to another building to do busy work for the rest of the day. You don’t know a slow work day until you are peeling and placing mailing labels on packages.

I had pretty much resigned myself that there would be a message waiting for me on the answering machine when I got home.

David B_____ report to Sue’s desk in Building One. David B____ to Sue’s desk in Building One.

I was offered full employment.

Now I’ve got to shave my head and buy a case of water.

j/k.




*No, I really don’t do that.

Comments

Kapitano said…
You're going on a long journey through the desert disguised as a Tibetan monk?

You're the new Kojak but they're replaced lollipops with bottle water?

Your new job involves wearing a blond wig and sitting in front of a waterfall?

What exactly does your new (full, yay!) job entail?!
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you don't really bite your nails, hen.
Sooo-this-is-me said…
Wow! Good for you bud! OK who were you sleeping with at the top!?! Yeah my bad! ;)

Steven
David said…
@Kapitano: A little of this a little of that.

@Andre: Just the hang nails but even then, I usually try to get it out with tweezers.

@Steven: "OK who were you sleeping with at the top!?!"

--What?!
Kristel said…
Congrats!! I'm happy for you! ^_^

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?