Premier Week

Premier Week is over and done with. What shows did you watch? Did you pick up any new shows? This year's week was so-so. I'll give you a little more though. Here's what I thought--in order of showings.

Warning! Possible Spoilers.

The Simpsons
The episode came off really well from the summer movie and I had high hopes that they were going to put some effort into this season's first episode. I thought it was a return to their pre-movie level of hilarity. Sooo... I tuned out halfway through.

The Family Guy
I largely skipped out on the previous season in favor of Desperate Housewives. Now I am going back! The 1 hour Star Wars special was hilarious to the point I literally collapsed to the ground crying in laughter. (It happened around the Grey Poupon scene.)

My Highlights:
  • The Bush-Cheney bumper sticker. I wouldn't put a bumper sticker on my car but I'd sure as hell put a Bush-Cheney one on my Imperial Star Destroyer.
  • "Now select, 'Default Media Browser.'"
  • The Grey Poupon Bit. I don't know if I am operating on the same wavelength as Seth MacFarlane but I was thinking of it before the second vehicle showed up and the music started playing.
  • The Creepy Old Man. Period.
  • Roger's cameo.
  • The lack of a railing observation.
  • The fact that they didn't use those damn energy rings in the explosions of Alderaan and the Death Star. Those rings are probably the biggest reason why I like the original version over the Special Edition. The second being that they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Hayden Christensen in Episode VI.

CSI
Eh it was boring. They should have brought back Quentin Tarantino for it.

Stargate: Atlantis
We last saw Atlantis adrift in space after their hyperdrive failed during their escape from Lantea. I thought that they picked it up rather nicely but their one mini crisis after another got tiring and by the end, I was wondering what the point of the episode was. Nothing, aside from the Dr. Weir situation, was advanced. I am looking forward to the next episode where they will mount a raid on the Replicator for some ZPMs*

I was mad when they killed off Dr. Beckett. Now it looks like Dr. Weir will be gone too. What the hell. Are they trying to slowly replace the original cast? My crush on Jewel Staite (Dr. Keller) isn't enough to overcome my crush on Paul McGillion (Dr. Beckett). As much as liked Amanda Tapping in Stargate SG-1, I would rather see Torri Higginson continue as the expedition leader.

Desperate Housewives
A new neighbor moves into the neighborhood. *Yawn*. Although the guy that moved in is Nathan Fillion from Firefly. BTW, I thought I read somewhere that it was supposed to be a gay couple moving in.

This season's secrets seem a little tame. Bree's seems a bit harebrained though. Edie looks like she will be getting more screen time which I'm glad about about. Although, her best moments is when she is sparing against Susan. Now let's see... what can make the evil Andrew come out?

Brothers & Sisters
This is still going strong with me. It was my favorite show of last season. Well, scratch that... Battlestar Galactica was my favorite show. But-- it will probably be my favorite this year.

Last season, I was impressed with the show's take on showing both conservative and liberal points of view. But lately, it seems to be skewing to the left as they show Kitty willing to compromise on conservative values. How can you show conservativism has having a legitimate point, when the character that is supposed to be representative of those values is blatantly corruptible? This isn't isn't seen with Nora.

I am impressed with the Rebecca character. I think she kind of serves as a representation of the audience who is looking at the Walker family with similar eyes. Her interactions with the family, particularly with Nora, Kitty, and Justin have been fabulous.

With Kevin's new boyfriend now heading off to Malaysia (or was it Indonesia), will it be possible that Scotty might be back? Because I prefer Luke MacFarlane's character over those other two guys-- by a lot

Further Notes
I watched the pilot of The Big Bang Theory. The tall nerd steals the show. I don't think this one will get far.

It's not a premier, but I did watch the first half of the final two episodes of Doctor Who. It had the Master, and no one can say no to the Master. Well, I probably could when he looked like a fish. I like the new Master. He seems very hyper--something that is so... un-Master like. The best bit though was seeing flashbacks to Gallifrey. Even though the Time Lords are wiped out and yadda-yadda, I would like to get more glimpses into Gallifreyan society.

I want my Battlestar Galactica now! I'm tapping my foot waiting for the movie to get here.

Did anyone see How I Met Your Mother? I missed it. Was it any good?

And that's pretty much my TV selection for this season. Insert BSG in January and The Amazing Race when that starts up.






*When I was talking to a co-worker, I caught myself using Dr. McKay's way of saying ZPM. That is ZED-P-M instead of ZEE-P-M. What the hell? I'm adopting the Queen's English?

Comments

ARGGHHH They killed of Dr Beckett!!!!!! WHAT?
David said…
Spoilers! I did warn you.

It was a touching end scene with him though.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?