Take away their benefits too.

From WLNS:
A new poll says Michigan voters may support the idea of a part-time state legislature. The poll was recently conducted by the Detroit News and WXYZ TV. 51% of voters surveyed said they support the idea of having a part-time legislative government while only 33% opposed it. Another 16% was undecided.
I could get behind that. As for Congress, while I think it may not be a good thing put them on part time, but I would like them to shorten their session down to four months. The rest of the time, they should be be working in their districts working for their constituents.

Comments

John Provis said…
I'm pretty sure our state parliaments should be considered part-time (and paid as such..!) - the Victorian parliament sat for 38 days in 2006. Mmm, value for money... The more I see of federalism, the less convinced I am that it's anything other than a way to keep the truly incompetent in positions with an illusion of power, to prevent them from actually doing anything that'll have any impact.
David said…
Well, I can't really comment on your system of government but on the surface, it's kind of exciting as it sounds a lot like the American system, then the words parliament and especially Queen come up and I breath out a disappointing sight. Well, that's what happens when you're a republican (small "r").

I think the idea of a part-time legislatures are excellent. Along with keeping the pay low. If they aren't paid well in the first place, then the people who want to go into positions of power aren't going to be doing it for the financial benefit. But you know, I am the person who believes that people should not be going into elected office and planning for it to be their career. As much as I love Rep. Upton, it'd be nice if he give up his two decades of power and let someone else in--preferably another like minded Republican.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?