Public Ivy Schools Growing Higher

I was driving by the University of Notre Dame the other day and I got to thinking about how accessible it used to be during its early years. I wondered how hard it was to get in then as compared to how difficult it is now.

Michigan’s top two schools, the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, have upped their admissions standards. A GPA of 3.5 got you into State, 3.7 got you into Michigan. Now, applicants with those numbers are finding themselves wait listed and even rejected. I feel fortunate that I got into State when I did because it doesn’t look like I’d be accepted now.

I suppose that it is something to be proud of. Who doesn’t want their alma mater to be more prestigious? I want people to look at Michigan State and think, “Now that’s a great school.” I want high school juniors and seniors to look at my school and want to go there. Yet, at the same time, it makes me sad that people who are in a similar situation that I was in won’t be able to experience that fine school. I feel like I’m part of a school that is willing to leave great people behind.

I love my school but when I visit fifty years from now, will I recognize the students there? Would a MAC or MSC student recognize me now?


*Picture is of the Hannah Administrative Building on MSU's campus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?