Pass me the Vicodin

<<--See also: Sean's post, "To Quote M*A*S*H: 'Best care anywhere'"

About a week ago I started to get a pain whenever I would bite down. Have you ever chewed on aluminium before? Stupid thing to do I know, but I've done it before and the pain was like that. In my left molar region it felt like electricity was sparking between my upper and lower molars. I gave it a couple days to go away but it wouldn't. So I set up an appointment with the Doc.

Now I am proud of my teeth. It has given me few problems. The last time I had a cavity, I was in sixth or seventh grade. Every visit since then has only involved general cleaning and check-ups. I haven't been to the dentist in a few years since I was dropped from my mother's insurance. I figured, I could go without. By the time I'd have problems, I was sure that I would have landed a job with a dental plan.

My self diagnosis was that I had a cavity in my lower molar which has been erupting and impacting since high school. Every now and then it would get inflamed but it would always calm back down. It was recommended that I get it removed but I nixed it since it wasn't giving me problems and I hear that having a wisdom tooth pulled sucks donkey balls. It does.

Today was my first time at Dr. B's new office complex. It was impressive and high tech. When I went in this morning for my diagnostic, the lady there let me view the examination using a camera. Turns out I was right. The bottom molar had a cavity. I couldn't really tell, but she could. An x-ray was taken and Dr. B wanted a better look so a panoramic x-ray was done and the results were not good.

The bottom tooth was bad enough but it turns out that the top was even worse off. It had extensive decay and the beginnings of an infection! A flash of horror must've crossed my face as I recalled Sean's ordeal in Iraq. I didn't care about the cost anymore. I wanted those sons of bitches out.

The extractions were not as unpleasant as I thought they would be. I was numbed up pretty well. I was handling everything well especially when they went in with the power tools. I only started to get worried when he was pulling out the teeth and I felt like bone was breaking inside my mouth. Odd sensation.

It's been a number of hours and I'm resting with the pain pills at my side. Called in for work since I didn't think that it would be a good idea that I work using pills that would make me drowsy. So far, I've been bleeding and it's difficult resisting the urge to spit. Apparently keeping blood in your mouth promotes healing by forming a blood clot. I look like frakin' vampire. Ugh.

I did manage to get little fun out of it. While I was at Wal-mart getting my prescription filled out, I made out like I couldn't talk. So I tried communicating with a pad and paper and tried out some of my limited knowledge of American Sign Language.

In a week, my mouth should be back to normal--I hope.

Comments

David said…
Will do, John! Thanks.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!