Don't go after my Big Mac!

Read the Detroit Free Press story here.

The local buzz this morning is centered on those three Texas Muslim guys that were arrested a while ago were going to attack the Mackinac Bridge. They were arrested following a tip from a store clerk when they bought 80 cell phones. Police found 1,000 cell phones when they looked through their van. According to TV report on Fox, they claimed that they were planning to resell the phones for profit.

The Mackinac Bridge is a five mile bridge that connects the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with the Lower Peninsula. Without it, travelers would have to fly or take a ferry to get across. That, or they can take a long trip around Lake Michigan, traveling through Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. It is suspected that the cell phones may be used as detonators in bombs to blow up the bridge. Destroying the bridge would deal an economic blow to Michigan, but it would hardly be a big attack. There are hundreds of other targets in the state that would be more shocking. My only thought would be that they were aiming to do it during the Bridge Walk. Considering Governor Granholm may be there this year along with thousands of other walkers, it may be the icing on the cake.

These guys are idiots. First of all, buying 80 cell phones cries out: I'm a terrorist! Plus, who would believe their story that they were planning to resell the phones for profit? Who in their right mind would buy a phone from these guys for more than what they would pay for it at Wal-mart? There is no way I can imagine these guys finding a way to profit from that. According, to Free Press article, they had thrown away the chargers. Hmm, a one time charged phone--what would you do with that?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I always liked that Granholm started doing this. I've always loved that bridge.

She should get out there and walk again. I'm sure she will. Would be a pretty good sign of confidence, too.
john said…
It's really scary that terrorist find blowing up society a form of getting attention. I can't understand the train of thought wherein harming other humans is right.
David said…
Minge: Stepping away from these three Texans, I actually find terrorists to be fairly ingenious. I'm sending an email your way in a few minutes...

tgg: As far as I know, she will be doing it again this year. I've never been up to the bridge or the Upper Peninsula. One of the these days I'll see with my own two eyes.

john: Consider yourself fortunate that you don't have those types of feelings/thoughts.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?