Dying of Embarrassment

During the weekday, coverage at my store is done by one person. Today, I had to work an entire shift by myself. The reason why there is only one person working is because the store is usually not busy enough during the morning and early afternoon to warrant an additional staff member. This causes a few problems. First, your breaks are done at the cash register. Second, and most importantly, there is no one to watch the store when you have to use the bathroom. You have to go when there is no one in the store and hope that you are quick enough to get back before anyone comes in or needs to check out. I have had some close calls before but today was like no other.

It’s 11:30am and I had just completed a sale. The customer walked off and the store was deserted. Now’s my chance, I thought. So I took the register keys with me and went to the back. I left the back door open as well as the bathroom door open. On the off chance that a customer arrives and gets impatient, I would be able to hear a, “Hello, is anyone here,” from where I’m at. Then I could claim that I was putting away stock and that I would be out there in a few minutes. That didn’t quite work out as it should have. So I had dropped trou and was just sitting on the stool when I hear, “Hello? Is anyone here?” I knew that that voice was coming from inside the back room. I shot up and pulled on my pants but I was wearing my old BDU belt so I couldn’t get situated 100% by the time I popped my head out to say that I was here. I was caught by an old worker. And although she didn’t get glimpse of anything bad, I was completely mortified.

Ah but that wasn’t the end of it. Around 8:30 that night, I was at home taking things out of my pants pocket. I pulled out the keys to the master register. Remember how I had taken the register keys with me to the bathroom? The closer would not be able to run the reports without them so I had to throw on some clothes and race back to city hoping to make it before closing. I had to tell the closer to, “keep this between us,” as I put the key back into its rightful place. She smirked but thankfully did not ask any questions.

Ah, the day is over….

Comments

john said…
That's a great story!!! Wow!!! I worked retail once and had many of those--have to go moments.
Thankfully the store where I worked had a policy of two people always in the store. Those moments only happened when the other person would ask me for permission to either take a smoke or eat break.
David said…
Well dang, those were long smoke breaks!
Anonymous said…
I wouldnt have said anything even if you hadnt asked.
David said…
^Thanks Ashley (who was the closer in this story)! No need to bring up work back at work, right? ;)
Thats hilarious!! Lucky you didn't catch your Jr. David in your zipper!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?