What would Henry do?

Ford Motor Co. recently announced its intentions to cut 30,000 jobs by 2012. They have said that they are losing $100 for every car that they sell. A caller on The Roe Conn Show (WLS AM 890 @ 2pm Central), said something like, "Ford believed that they could loose $100 on every car they sold but felt they could make it up on volume." Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It almost breaks my heart to see this great American company being broken down like that. That goes for GM too. The sad reality is that the American automakers are losing to their foreign counterparts. Whether this loss has to do with quality--that can be debated till the cows come home. Personally, I'm incline to put more faith in foreign makers developing a superior product.

*ducks the flying vegetables*

What amuses me is to see fellow Republican that I know, saying that people need to buy American products. These are the same people that believe in free-market capitalism. But apparently that kind of capitalism should be between Americans only. I very much believe in free-markets. If Japan, Korea, or heaven help us--China can make cheaper or better cars, then they deserve to be top-dogs in the market. What makes me a little PO'd is when people start blaming consumers for not buying American. The consumer is not at fault. It is the American companies that are doing something wrong. They need to fix it--not us. So while Ford may have my sympathy (The UAW a bit less), they don't have my support. GM does... because I like my Saturn (when it's working.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?