You could tone it down...

I was heading for the library today for some research related to my ongoing project/presentation.  While I was traveling down the main drag, I eventually caught up with a car that had plenty of decoration.  Bumper stickers, ribbon, decals, and even an antennae adornment.  All having to do with the United States Marine Corps.  Blech.  Not that I don't mean, that I hate that it was about the USMC but by the fact that this guy went a little over the top -- hmm, much like the Marine Corps.
 
Some items of note "Proud father of a Marine," "Support our Troops," "Retired Marine," the Marine Corps Seal (in bumper sticker and decal form.)  On his hood was an especially large decal of the Marine Corps Seal.  Looking at the driver, I saw that he was still wearing his cover from his BDU's.  And the part that I just got a kick out of: his birth control glasses.
 
Now I like the military.  I get the "Support our Troops" ribbons and other small things like that.  But to cover your car so that it is just below the category of mobile billboard is just crazy.  Yes, I think the guy is just a little.... you know... not quite there.  For him, it wasn't enough to let people know that he was a marine, but that his identity is a marine.  Marine Joe instead of Joe the marine.  Or maybe it’s something different?
 
I'm an American.  I'm proud to be an American.  But I don't wear the American flag.  It certainly isn't plastered all over my car.  For me, shoving such a symbol in such an obnoxious way is actually disrespectful.  Maybe I'm just reserved like that.  Something worthy of respect such as the Marine Corps Seal or the American flag is something that I would hold back-- to only display in places and moments where appropriate.  When people put such symbols on such a garish display, it seems to me that they are craving personal respect.  "Look at me.  I'm a Marine.  Look at me.  I'm an American.  Respect me.  Fear me.  I'm so awesome."  Those symbols become diluted in meaning as they don't call for service but instead are serving a personal interest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?