Driving in the Motor State.

I think I got that internship with the Cass County Council on Aging. I’ll blog it when I get the official say so.

While I was driving to Cassopolis though, I got to thinking about driving here. Quite a number of thoughts get blended into this post so bear with me.

The thing that set it off was watching a Student Driver car come towards me in the opposing lane. Behind it must have been six or seven cars. The poor student was made to drive the 55mph (80kph) speed limit down M60. Of course all the locals here drive no slower than 60mph (97kph) so there was quite a back up.

That student driver reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend from the Philippines over the net. It was about driving around in the country and how it wasn’t necessary. Although public transport in the Phils is by no means sophisticated… it is everywhere. Jeepneys, trikes, and cheap buses make it possible to go just about anywhere you need to go and without much planning. I made an 10 hour trip just on a whim. Grab your bag and cash and just go. Can’t do that here in the States. Unless I somehow bum a ride, there is no way for me to get to the next town other than walk or ride a bike (not recommended, believe me.) Aside from the metro corridor on the east coast, there really isn’t much for public tansport in this country. A vehicle is a must-have.

That got me to thinking about Kris’s friend, Steve, who lives over in England. Twenty years old and he is still taking driving lessons. Twenty years old?! That’s old. American kids are probably cycling through their second car by that age. But then again, what compelling reason does Steve need for a car? He has a train/sub system that can get him to where he needs to go on top of the bus and cabs. That, and insurance, gas, and having a vehicle period is so damn expensive there.

Then that got me to thinking about Driver’s Ed here in the States and how it is different from a place like England. Here in Michigan, it used to be once a kid turned 16, they would go down to the Secretary of State office, take a road and written test, and get your license after participating in a free Driver’s Ed course provided by the high school for about 2 weeks. Now that’s not the case anymore. If I remember right:

  • Michigan citizens can begin to drive at 14yrs 9months. (Learner's Permit, must have guardian present.)
  • After 50hrs of logged driving--ten of which must be at night, at the age of 16, a kid can get his Graduated License (Only one passenger allowed in the car, unless a guardian is present. Driving restricted from 12midnight to 5am unless going to or from work.)
  • Then, if driving record is acceptable, a full license is presented at age 17. (But the license is specially designed to indicate that the holder is a minor.)
  • A regular license is then issued at 21.

Finally that brought me back to the girl who looked petrified behind the wheel and I thought, “Good God, that might be a 15 year old behind the wheel!” *groan*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?