An intersection to be wary of


This is the intersection of U.S. 12 and South 3rd Street in Niles. This intersection as gotten some attention of late due to a rash of accidents here. As you can see, there are flowers attached to the median advisory sign. They are not related to what is happening there now. A while ago, the parents of a senior high schooler was killed here. I can not imagine what that fellow must be going through. Since he is 18, he will be treated as an adult and will be on his own. Admittedly, I don't know the whole story but from what I've heard, it seems to be asking too much. Even at 23, I'm not sure what I would do if both my parents died. What makes it even more heart wrenching was that apparently, his parents had no life insurance. There were no death benefits.

There is an effort to install a left turn only signal at this intersection. The white car to the far left is where the problem is. From this white car's position, he can not see very well into oncoming traffic (in which I am currently sitting) if the left turn lane in my direction is full. Add to the fact that there are idiots that speed through this intersection at over 60mph, it's not very safe. I've even had a few close calls there.

I did a very fast google search and came across an old Niles Township meeting minutes. According to the committee report, there were 136 accidents with 68 injuries. It's not a very good report considering, we don't know what time frame this data is representing. But the fact that this meeting took place on May 17, 2004 and nothing has been done since, is quite upsetting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?