Anglophiles


My sister. Posted by Hello

My sister, Kristel, has got to be one of the biggest anglophiles that I know. Who else in Southwest Michigan has the Union Jack proudly displayed in their room? Where is another gal who has a UK hand bag? You would think that there may be an Old Glory somewhere but it is nowhere to be seen. There are pictures, everywhere, of her trip to England, Wales, and Ireland. Occasionally, I even catch her trying to pull off an English accent or insert English words. I bet you, if I looked into her diary (if she had one), I would find that she spells “color” “c-o-l-o-u-r.” And then to top it off, there’s her trans-Atlantic boyfriend that she hopes to see on IM every night. Gag me.

Now, I admit that I do like the British. I find them to be less insulting than the French. Yes, I have met both and they happened to fit their stereotypes quite nicely. I wonder if they thought the same about me. Yeah, I’m arrogant. Anyways, a little of my sister’s enthusiasm for this small area of Europe has rubbed off a little on me. As soon as I find that high-paying job, England is second on my list of countries I have to visit. Sorry to any English visitors who may be reading this, but I’ve got to return to the Philippines first.

When the tsunami story hit the airwaves, I usually turned to Fox News or the BBC to get my news. I gravitated towards the BBC because they have, from what I could tell, more stakes in the region, especially since it was a former colony of theirs that got affected. Since then, I have continued to watch the BBC news as my lead in to the national news on WNDU.

With not much to do since I don’t have a job, I have picked up another show that I like to watch a bit. It’s called “Cash in the Attic.” The British program is about finding stuff in your house and selling them at an auction in hopes of reaching a set amount of money—usually around £1,000. So I add that to the BBC news that I already watch plus “The Weakest Link.” I have come to realize that maybe I like the British broadcasts a little more than I thought. Think about it. I watch the BBC News, Cash in the Attic, The Weakest Link, Dr. Who, Red Dwarf, Coupling, and Monty Python whenever it is shown. Upon further consideration, there is only two shows that I faithfully watch that is made in America and that is Star Trek: Enterprise and Desperate Housewives. The rest are made in Canada (Thank-you Sci-Fi for your wonderful Friday night lineup).

[shakes head] Damn, I need to get a life—or a job.

Comments

M said…
One thing about the British is they have a witty sense of humour.

M.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?