"Debate"

The final debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump has wrapped up. That is, if you can call them debates.
This is the first election cycle where I have watched every single Presidential Debate. In the past I had always made a decision on who I was going to vote for before the debates occurred. This time, however, I wanted to see the interaction between the two candidates. In particular, I wanted to see Donald Trump put under pressure to see how he would react. Based on his past behavior and how insulated he is on the campaign trail, I didn't think he would react well. I think it is safe to say that I was right.

Hillary Clinton and her team have not only prepared well for the issues in these debates, she prepared for her opponent. What I mean by that is that she was able to figure out Donald Trump's weakness and exploit them. Everyone knew that she was the erudite candidate and that wasn't going to be enough to win a debate. Clinton knew that what worries people about Donald Trump was his temperament. If she could trip him up, Trump would show that not only didn't he have a grasp of the issues but that he didn't have the traits needed for the office. In all the debates, Trump started off well but Clinton would start getting under his skin and by the last half hour was rolling around, he was unhinged.

One thing of note about this third and last debate, the moderator, Chris Wallace, did a great job in bringing up great questions and this one probably had the most substance. I wish the previous two had more substance and I wish there were additional topics that were covered. There wasn't much on LGBT rights, climate change, infrastructure, the South China Sea dispute, and public education.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?