The faith some people have…

The United States is a very religious country. I find that a lot of religious people are odd. Let me say now that I do not hate people because of their beliefs. I just find some of most devout to be rather odd. Those who shun technology, wear dresses, play with snakes… Benny Hinn. You know whatever, it’s cool and I’m actually proud that they can openly practice their faith in this country.

Today is Good Friday where many Christians remember Christ’s crucifixion. Locally, nothing remarkable happens, at least, not that I’m aware of. In the Philippines, something interesting happens. Around the city of San Fernando in Someother Province, there are people who get crucified. Catholics will flog themselves, carry a cross, and willingly get nailed to the cross to show their devotion. Many do it to give thanks for blessings that God has given.

While I was living there, I was vaguely aware of the practice. I never saw it and I don’t even think anyone even does it in LaUnion Province. I do remember one of the ladies though saying that those people who do get nailed, “go too far.” Personally, I thought that it was pretty admirable that they were willing to do it because I knew that I couldn’t.

My own faith doesn’t lead me to do much that would be considered “odd” by most people. I’m not going to give up electricity, depend of faith healing, or fast for 40 days to prove that I believe. For me, such actions are unnecessary. Sola fide. Still, I think that it is, in some wired way of its own, nice to know that there are people who demonstrate rather than blend in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?