Think of all that pop and popcorn.

This past week or so, I have been spending quite a bit of time at the movies. Thankfully all three that I saw were great in my opinion. I thought that I would share some thoughts about them but be warned, there is a possibility of spoilers.


National Treasure: Book of Secrets

I’m not a fan of Nicolas Cage so I saw the first movie with low expectations. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a good and interesting movie. I went again to Book of Secrets with low expectations because, you know, sequels always suck. Now, it wasn’t as good as the original but it still did perform better than I expected.

The movie is about the Gates family trying to find the lost City of Gold.

While the first half of the movie had the same flavor as the first movie, the second half seemed more like Indiana Jones. That’s okay but if you find racing around to different locations in search of clues to be exciting, you’ll come to a screeching halt about halfway through the movie.

And with that gold prices finally take a nose dive…


I Am Legend

I wanted to see this movie but then again, I didn’t. Seeing an apocalyptic and horror movie around Christmas seemed wrong to me which is kinda odd since I want to see Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem. Anyways what happens is this: Sometime in the near future, a cure for cancer was found. A virus was genetically altered to fight cancer but the virus mutated killing off 90% of the world’s population. Of the 10% that were left, 9% turned into vampire-like mutant humans that fed on the 1% that were completely immune to the virus. Will Smith plays a scientist that is seemingly the only person left in the world. While avoiding the mutant humans, he tries to develop a cure.

I thought the movie was interesting but from what I’ve read about the book it was based off, I think that the ending in the book is a lot more interesting. Yet, I don’t think that it would have transferred that well onto a motion picture. So in that sense, I was satisfied with how the story turned out. It ends positively enough, but I honestly thought that they were going to do an ambiguous ending much like what was done in Children of Men. My only real complaint was that in the last third, the story seemed to wrap it up too quickly. There was nothing for the last two characters to do other than carry on the cure. No development of the characters and very little bonding, I thought.


P.S. I Love You



I was afraid that I wasn’t going to see this one. Of all the people I know, there is only one person that I thought I could see it with. I ended up seeing with my sister who is not the person I'm talking about. This movie is getting a lot of negative reviews from critics. They don’t know crap. Personally, I think that this is a great movie. I don’t think I have smiled like that because of a movie in a long time.

It’s about this couple that is living in New York. Despite the snipping, Holly and Gerry do love each other. Gerry dies but leaves Holly a series of letters that should help her move on. The movie does have an undercurrent of grief throughout the film, but through it, it shows you the brighter sides of life, past, present, and future.

There was one point in the movie where I embarrassed myself. During the wake scene for Gerry, everyone in the audience was quiet. You know, it’s a sad scene. But then they started playing Fairytale of New York and I started to bust up laughing and said, “This is a horrible song.” No one else was laughing until the lyrics finally betrayed the song. Yeah, audience, I’m not really an asshole. I just know what’s coming.

Lisa Kudrow. I love her.

Towards the end, I was getting a feeling of, “here comes the happy ending,” but it didn’t. They looked like they were giving the audience and obvious set up, but then there was a twist. The way the ending unfolded, I thought was better, more realistic and… even more funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?