I’ll leave it to the young.

I had to stay late at work to get a couple things completed so it was going to be a while before I could catch dinner at home. To save time, I went to Fazoli’s. Fast food Italian—gotta love it. I go up to the counter and I am about to order. The manager there, Adam, is at the register and he gives me this look. Kinda like how a scam artist has the I’ve-got-a-sucker face.

“Would you like a bottomless bowl for $3.99?”

Excuse me? Does it look like I am the kind of person that would come in and eat as much as possible? Wait… don’t answer that. “Uh, no. I’d like a number two please.”

I grab my chicken parmesan and head to my table insulted. It wasn’t the guy’s fault really. It is his job to suggest the specials. But do I really fall into the target customer group? Probably. I am a big guy but c’mon, he made more money off my #2 order than he would have from that bottomless bowl offer.

When I was in high school, I probably would have taken him up on that offer. I would eat anything and everything in site. I was like Peter in Fox Trot only I got bigger and he wouldn’t. Now, it actually makes me a little nauseous thinking about eating multiple bowls of pasta. Have you seen how big their serving sizes are? Buffets in general have lost their appeal for me. The only exception would be a Chinese buffet but I like them because of the variety of foods not the quantity that I can stuff my self with. When I was a teen, I could easily put away five, six trips of food. Now, I barely manage two.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You are charmingly suburban/middle American/mainstream American.
David said…
Why, thank you anon. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?