"That's 10%"

Finding a good Chinese take-out or restaurant is a challenge sometimes. Most of my friends probably would say that the stuff is all the same, but there are some distinct differences that I pay attention to. When I moved up to East Lansing, the first place I got dinner from was the local Chinese take-out. It was horrible. I couldn't even finish it and neither could my roommate. His beef & broccoli eventually stunk up the room because he let it sit in the fridge for a few days. It wasn't until Erin and I got an apartment together during my junior year that we actually found a decent place.

My judging of a take-out place does not have much to do with the main courses. Actually, most of it is done on three things: the egg roll, the fried rice, and the egg drop soup.

Today, I tried out a new place and had them deliver to the store. Panda Express sucks and although, I felt like Chinese, I definitely didn't want their stuff. This new place looked like it had a great menu. But when I got the goods, I was sorely disappointed. Strike 1-- it took them 45 minutes to make the delivery and they are only a block away. Strike 2-- their egg rolls are half the size they should be and is too salty. Strike 3-- the fried rice was hard, oily, dark, and suffered from the lack of vegetable and meat filler. *sigh* Back to Panda Express for now.

Comments

john said…
I think I'm way too critical on Chinese take-out. When I was younger, my uncle took us to this awesome restaurant in Chinatown, New York City. Nothing taste better than almost authentic Chinese food.
Minge said…
I love the across the pond differences. You say egg roll. I only recently found out that this is what we call pancake roll. I used to think it was something with sliced egg in it. No, really!

Good luck with your search for a good Chinese restaurant. If ever you need any help, please let me know.
David said…
@john: Almost authentic Chinese food? Nah, I get it. Nothing is better than a restaurant that actually knows what they are doing. Shortly before I left Michigan State, a new Chinese restaurant opened that served authentic food. It was the first time I had congee since I left the Philippines. Mmm, Mmm, good.

@minge: If I heard you say pancake roll, I would think of a sausage wrapped in a flap jack. --How's that for more American terms? :-P

There was this time I was in the Philippine city of Baguio where I ordered lumpia for dinner. Lumpia is a Filipino egg roll. When I got it, it had sliced egg in it and...pineapple! "What the hell," I thought. They should put descriptions on their menus if they are going to pull of that shit.
Luke said…
I have 2 absolutely awesome takeout places within a 1/2 mile of my apartment. I feel blessed. :) I am also critical of asian food.
Minge said…
Wrapped in a flap jack? Lordy! A flap jack here is a hard, sweet bar made with oats and other goodies.

I love this.

You are hilarious, David. Mwah!
David said…
@Luke: Almost every time I go to your site, I keep reminding myself that I need to find a dim sum restaurant. Then I promptly forget.

@Minge: That sounds like a fruit bar to me. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?