Hit the Pavement and Go

I hope that I don't steal some of Herb's thunder, but I'm planning to do a 5k race this summer. Sure it's no sweat for some people like Mike, but for someone like me who has been this massive bleh for most of their life, this is a huge deal. The most I've ever run was two miles for the Air Force and saw no need to do any more. At the beginning of December, being able to eventually do two miles in sixteen minutes was my goal but Erin has got the idea into me that I could go a bit further.

During the summer, I got up to two miles by running until I reached my limit. As time went on my endurance slowly increased. I thought that I would go with that approach. However, after three weeks, I'm only getting in 1 & 1/10 of a mile (or eleven laps on the track) before I have to quit. This evening I tried a different tactic: run 3, walk 2, until I reached 2 miles. It worked and I was able to complete those two miles without much difficulty. I may switch to this method.

I've got six months.

Comments

john said…
Good luck with the 5k!!
Minge said…
Good luck. You're a brave boy. That's 5KMs more than I could manage.
Mike said…
That method of intermixing running minutes with walking breaks is a GREAT way to build up your endurance. A popular running coach named Galloway advocates doing that even for marathons.

Good luck!
Unknown said…
Good for you! I keep forgetting to send you that chart. Maybe I'll just type it out- it's not that complicated. Keep it up!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?