Travel & TV

With the exception of Orlando, FL, the last place that I traveled to was the Philippines. I miss traveling to other places. While, I am dreaming up trips all over the world, (London in 2012, cross your fingers) there are so many places I want to travel in my own country. The United States is so huge and I’ve only seen the tiniest fraction of it.

There is this show that my dad tapes and I watch called 5 Takes USA. A group of five foreigners from the Philippines, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, and Australia travel around the United States. They are given an allowance of $50/day and we get to see the country through their eyes. So far they have been to Las Vegas, Alaska, and Washington, D.C. I’ve only seen the Alaska and D.C. segments but I am watching the show with fascination.

One of the things that I dislike about this country is that it is so inaccessible to visitors. Unless you come from Japan, Western Europe, or one of the Anglo countries, you would find it very difficult to come here. Even though Americans on the whole do not travel abroad often, we do have a thought that we can pack a bag, grab a plane ticket and passport and go anywhere in the world we want to. If I could afford it, I could be on a plane back to the Philippines by tomorrow morning. If I was a Philippine citizen, my chances of making it to this country are extremely thin. So when I see a foreigner around these parts, I am pleasantly surprised.

When I hear or read about the Europeans bitchin’ and moanin’ about the U.S., one of the thoughts running through my mind is that perhaps they wouldn’t feel so terrible if they would actually come and see this place for themselves. I would be them dollars to donuts that their conceptions about this country and its people are quite different than reality. I laugh at the thought of a person, who thinks Americans are out to conquer the world, running into a regular Joe who couldn’t even point to Canada on a map if presented with one.

When those five travel journalists talk about their experiences, I get excited. I get excited because I get to see my own home as if I had never seen it before. It makes me appreciate it all so much more. When they talk about the U.S., it’s always positive although I do get a kick out of their responses when they are confronted with some American pastimes. For instance, the Australian’s aversion to bow hunting. The Taiwanese’ complaint that there were too many trees in Washington D.C. Their awe at quilting. Their participation in Halloween. (Who hates getting free candy?)

I understand why the visa system is so rigid for most foreigners out there. I’m sorry for that. If I could, I’d throw open the borders and let you all in so that you can experience life the way I see it.

There are so many places in the world that I want to go. Yet, I there are so many adventures here in my own back yard. My list of must-sees is extensive: Yosemite, The Grand Canyon, Mt. St. Hellens, Craters of the Moon, Yellowstone, St. Louis, New York City, Isle Royale, The Upper Peninsula, Hawaii, Mackinac Island, and so much more…

At the end of the last 5 Takes USA episode we watched, my dad told me that he would like to go to Washington again. I must admit, while there are things on my list that I would like to cross off first, I would love to see the great Capitol of the Empire Republic. Maybe while I’m there I can join a protest. Hey, I’m in the minority now. :-P


UPDATE 20 Nov. 2006:
Article: U.S. Is Most Unfriendly Country to Visitors, Survey Says

Comments

Daddy Cool said…
I've caught a few episodes of Five Takes and really liked it. I didn't realize they were doing a US version.
Minge said…
You'll adore Washington, hen. It's my favourite place in the USA.

What's FL?
David said…
@ The Brian: I think I remember a different Five Takes. Pacific Rim if I remember right. It makes me want to take out a huge loan and go backpacking.

@ Minge: Oh, I love Washington. I always dreamed of getting stationed there when I was on track to joining the Air Force. The last time I was there, was in 2001. My highlight of the trip was being able to go on to Air Force 2. Okay, Air Force 2 isn't an official designation but it pretty much was the Vice President's jet. Then there was the time a couple of us broke into the House committee rooms. Probably can't do that now... Ah, the place was much more accessible before Sept. 11th.

If we do end up going, I'm going to make a point of vising the Washington Monument which I missed on my last visit. I also want to see the WWII Memorial and the Air Force Memorial which were not built at that time.

FL is the postal abbreviation for Florida.
John Provis said…
As a tourist, DC and Hawaii are definitely cool. I fully intend to get to the Grand Canyon some day, but I'd definitely have to suggest that Niagara Falls should be on any list like this (even if the "good" bit is technically in Canada...)

Maybe I missed something when I was in St Louis though... I saw the arch, I saw the zoo, and I didn't get shot as I drove through East St Louis. Was there something else I should've done there?
Brian Farrey said…
You say that maybe Europeans wouldn't whine about the US if they saw things here. I, uh, don't think that's a problem. Europeans tend to be more well-traveled than Americans. I don't think they'll come see Old Faithful and go, "Wow, never mind that I totally disagree with the leader of this country. It's a pretty cool place because of this here magic fountain."

But I know what you mean about being torn between travelling the US and wanting to travel abroad. Unfortunately, my recent excursion overseas has left me with fewer desires to travel the US and more to go see what I'm missing abroad.
David said…
^I'm talking about lumping of Americans and the country in general in a bad light or how they will harass an American tourist. ("Yankee go home!") If their anger was properly placed (in the American gov't) then the joke that Americans have to start wearing Canadian flags on their backpacks wherever they travel wouldn't be needed. No, seeing Old Faithful wouldn't change their conceptions but conversing with Americans probably will.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?