Is It Christmas Season?

The day after Halloween, we were ordered to put up the Christmas stock and decorations by corporate. That same week, Sunny 101.5 began playing Christmas music at night. Last week, Cat Country 99.9 switched completely over to Christmas music. The anchor stores now have their countdown signs up. Thanksgiving has yet to come, and it seems like Christmas has been here forever.

Call me what you will, but I firmly believe that Christmas should not come around until the day after Thanksgiving at the earliest. Ideally, I don’t want to have anything to do with the holiday until three weeks before the event. I don’t hate Christmas. It’s my favorite holiday, actually. What I don’t like is being burned out. When Dec. 25th rolls around, I want to celebrate it. There have been some years where I was looking forward for it to being over. I hate feeling like that.

On top of the burnout, there’s also the commercial aspect of the holiday. I’m not a religious nut job or anything but I prefer the Christian version of Christmas. Other than getting gifts, some of my best memories are of church services, particularly the mid-night services. I get to see my family and even extended family. Another way this manifests itself is with my choice in Christmas music. Jingle Bells can not touch the hymns such as Adestes Fideles or The First Noel. The only “secular” songs that I’ll sing out loud and proud are the Muppet’s Twelve Days of Christmas and sometimes that one Chipmunks’ song.

Last night, though, I decided to tune to 99.9 and listen to Christmas songs. It might have been a little early but I might as well take a few moments to enjoy it before I have to shut out the rest until Dec. 10th or so.

Comments

john said…
I agree that Christmas starts too early.
I want to enjoy Thanksgiving.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?