I won't see it.

So far, I have heard good things about the movie World Trade Center but I’m not going to go see it. It’s for the same reasons that I didn’t see United 93. I don’t consider myself a sensitive person. People have actually called me cold. However, 9-11 touched me in a way that few other things have. And I can’t understand why it has. I wasn’t in NYC or in DC. I don’t have relatives in those areas. Yet that morning, I felt naked—vulnerable. It is something that I have never dealt with before. Not even when I was being choppered away to Clark Air Base to avoid being killed on the ground in the Philippines. It’s sounds used, but for me the US was secure and safe from all the other horrors around the world. Reality sucks.

The reason why I don’t want to watch 93 and WTC is because it would stir up all these emotions that are largely kept in control, especially the hate. Oh yes, I have pent up rage and hatred and it is something that I do not want. I am ashamed of myself when I fantasize about bombing the hell out of the Middle East not because it is necessary or because it would serve some strategic goal. No, I want to do it because it would inflict pain and terror. Revenge. It’s about revenge and that’s not right. I have to think back to my old classmate Binta in order to remind myself that my prejudices against a whole group of people is what it is.

Comments

PJS said…
I ultimately couldn't see "UA 93", it looked like torture to me. Why relive the most painful day in memory?

But this WTC movie looks a little different to me, from what I've heard it focuses on personal heroism and great acts of human goodness. If the reviews are good, I'll probably go to this one.
PJS said…
p.s.- is there a difference between revenge and justice?
David said…
I had considered that. Critics that like it have made sure to stress that it is an uplifting film. Focusing on the good of 9-11 may make the film more palatable but I'm afraid it's not enough for me. But if you do go see it, I'd like to hear about it. I may not want to watch it, but I am interested in it.

As for the difference between revenge and justice, I think that the commonality is punishment. However, revenge is more for the person who was wronged and does not deal with equity or morality.
john said…
Wow, that is some rage, some anger and some hate.
I will watch those movies because I know that some of the profit goes to great charities.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?