Did I just write that?!

Lord knows that Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper is not one of my favorite political leaders. While his warm tone towards the United States is welcomed, especially when compared to Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin, I really dislike his opposition to any movement that would expand rights for homosexuals. Anyways, I was watching a live press confrence where Mr. Harper was effortlessly switching back and forth between English and French in his response to reporters' questions. How hot is that?! Damn, I gots to learn me some French. (After I nail down proper English.)

UPDATE 07/07/06:
Sorry for any confusion but this was not meant to say that I am attracted to Mr. Harper. Just that bilingualism, especially English/French, can really do it for me.

Comments

Brian Farrey said…
Um.... David? Sweetie? Honey?

I appreciate the fact that you're concerned over the Canadian Prime Minister's stance. Believe me, I thought it was a huge victory when gay marriage became legal across Canada and I cringed when I thought that a chance in PM could mean a reversal of all that.

But...

Why are you not concerned about what the Republican party is doing right here at home to stifle and impede gay rights? I can't say the Democrats have taken up the cause with any gusto but they're also not going out of their way to create legislation that would set back the advances in gay rights by four decades like the Republicans are doing.

No disrespect intended. Just curious.
David said…
Brian. Wow. I've been thinking about how to respond. First, let me say that I am concerned about gay rights and how it is handled, generally speaking, by the Republican Party. I'm going to be real quick about this but I may post something longer in the near future on the other blog. So here goes...

As I am sure you are aware, there is a spectrum of ideologies in the two big parties. Given the majoritarian nature of the political system, we really only have two choices. So one has to find out which party would best serve your interests. My own beliefs tip me over to the Republicans. To be blunt, gay rights isn't a big enough issue for me to abandon all the other ones I care about and switch parties because the way I see it, the best most Republicans can hope for is maintaining the status quo.

I'm not accusing you of this, but gay Republicans get so much crap from both sides for trying to stay true to both what they are and what they believe. That's too bad.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?