Endings On Thursday Night

For a moment, I had a bit of a dilemma last night. Should I watch the series finale of Will & Grace or watch the season finale of CSI. While I like CSI a lot more, I have watched Will & Grace with off and on regularity throughout its run and I felt like I should at least watch the last episode. CSI will return again next year. But after that small second of worry, I figured out that I could watch CSI and tape Will & Grace. There, problem solved.

Kate! Just like last year… don’t read on if you don’t want to know!
.
.
.
.
So last week on CSI, we ended the episode with Captain Brass being shot. For the next week, we saw the previews of the finale which seemed centered on the question of whether Brass would live or die. Instead, we get an episode where Brass’s situation is the B story. (I would consider the dead partier the C story.) Seriously, take those ten minutes out and it would have seemed like any regular episode. The writers seriously dropped the ball on this one, I feel.

The A story concerning the decapitated civil war guy (and I thought trekkies were bad) was a little enlightening. I never realized that men wore corsets. I almost wish that I had taped this episode so that I could go back and listen to Grissom explain why this was practiced. Seriously, if I saw a guy look like that, I would think that there was some serious birth defect. I’ve got a mental note to look up on that subject. It’s oddly curious.

And to let everyone know, I found those last few minutes of the show to be insanely creepy.


Now, on with Will & Grace.

I have read books where in the epilogue, they go on to tell what happened to the characters of the story. After getting involved with the characters, it’s kind of nice to know how they will end up. Tonight’s episode was so horrible because that was what it was. They showed Will & Grace in the future.

Basically, Leo comes back from Rome and confesses his love for Grace. Grace chooses to find her happiness with Leo. That makes Will mad because he gave up Vince as a commitment to her and now is hurt that Grace can’t do the same.

Flash forward two years latter and we find that Grace is with Leo with their daughter, Lila. Will is with Vince and they have a son, Ben. Neither of them are speaking to each other. Karen and Jack decide to bring them back together. It sorta works. While Will and Grace are able to bury the hatchet, they find that there family commitments keep them from hanging out with each other. Meanwhile, Karen becomes broke and Jack becomes Beverly Leslie’s new associate. Beverly Leslie dies and Jack inherits his money. Karen and of course, Rosario, move in with Jack.

Flash forward almost two decades and we find Ben and Lila meeting at college. They hit it off and a couple years latter those two get married. In the last few moments of the show, the foursome get together for a drink and make a toast to family.

Personally, I would have rather ended it with the two reestablishing their relationships with Leo and Vince and then leaving it there. Keeping the show as it was and then wrapping it up at the very end, is something I would have liked to see. A whole episode depicting what happens to Will and Grace’s relationship changed the flavor of the show. It’s like it lost its substance. Instead of sharing the experience, it felt like a cram course in history. While knowing that Will and Grace’s kids would end up together is a nice thought, wouldn’t it have been better if the viewers were left to make up their own endings?

Comments

Sarah said…
I didn't watch Will & Grace. I don't usually watch it, though I have in the past, and would've watched it since it was the forever finale. But I watched CSI, as it's my favorite show on tv.

I was pleased with the episode. Guys wearing corsets is just odd. And I don't think, as a woman, it would've appealed to me. But I didn't live then, so I guess I'll never know.

And to let you know, I found those last few minutes of the show to be insanely gratifying and a long time coming.

:)
David said…
I've already built up Grissom in my mind as a guy that will always live life as a bachelor. And where's the sexual tension when you already know those two are already doin' it?

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?