Living on the border no longer great

Before going to college, living in Michiana was great. It was great because you could take advantage of two systems. Consider this:

Food: Go to Michigan. They have 0% sales tax.
Clothing and services: Go to Indiana. They have 5% sales tax.
Cigarettes: Go to Indiana. You'll save 10 bucks a carton.
Gas: Again, Indiana. (Their governor might even rescind the gas tax if pushed)
Land: Live in Michigan--lower taxes.
Jobs: Work in Indiana--higher salaries. (Unless you are a teacher then you might get a little more in MI)

From where I was sitting, life was great. That is until now.

Indiana's sales tax is now 6%--same as Michigan's. Now I don't smoke so no savings there. Gas? It's about the same on both sides of the border and is high as hell. I don't own any land so that doesn't mean anything to me. I work in Indiana but I've just walked into income tax hell!

What prompted this post? I got my paycheck a little while back and I was absolutely livid that two dollars was taken out for the St. Joseph County income tax. Two dollars might seem insignificant, but it's the principal of the thing. I don't live in St. Joseph County. I don't use their services. So why am I paying taxes to them?

Our state and local governments can go to hell!

...Alright, I'm done with my rant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?