An Evening of Swimming and Pizza

I just got back from a good evening at the beach. I hadn’t seen Season since she has gotten back from Florida I thought that I would since I had the day off. The plan was to rent a movie (Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle came to mind) and I would get a pizza. A cheap evening since, let’s face it, we’re all strapped for cash. Sara hadn’t answered my phone calls so I went to her house and dragged her out. BTW, she had a job interview. Keep your fingers crossed for her.

So we go and find Season’s apartment, which we had not been to. She actually lives in a duplex and I could have sworn she said that her entrance was at the back so that’s where we went. Like close friends, I opened the door and saw the back of some guy. Ooops! Wrong apartment. I backed out quick, probably about to knock down Sara who was behind me. Beet red, I called out a loud “Sorry!” before we jetted for the front entrance where I phoned Season just incase the guy I just walked in on came out with a bat (it isn’t the safest of neighborhoods we were in.)

As I was doing that, Sara noticed Season peaking down from her blinds and in a few minutes we were ushered into her apartment. Nice digs. It was clean, nice looking, and I was very impressed. My apartment would resemble the Buchanan landfill and probably smell just as bad. My plans for renting a video were quickly thrown away as we found out that she didn’t have the equipment necessary. Oddly enough, I think it was Sara who suggested we go swimming. Now first of all, it’s the middle of June and I was expecting Lake Michigan to be cold as hell. Second, it was freaking 6:30. By the time we got to St. Joe, it’d be past 7:00. Third, I didn’t have a suit with me, I’d have to go home and get it. Yet, I hadn’t been to the beach in two years.

“Let’s do it.” I said.

In our area, there are two places with easy public access to the beach that are well known. There is Warren Dunes and Silver Beach. Both require you to pay for parking. Silver Beach is in St. Joe and is heavily populated. But down the shore, there’s a little less known park called Lions Park. There is free parking and there aren’t any crowds. The only downside is that they dumped gravel there to prevent beach erosion. It can be a pain but we were hitting the lake for free and it was a small price to pay. We were going to be in the gravel free lake for most of the time anyways.


picture credit: www.stjoeclarionhotel.com

The three of us have issues with our bodies. Let’s just say we are not model material. Season and Sara don’t have anything to be embarrassed about though from my POV. So I guess not having the crowds around was a good thing. We waded in the water for a little bit so that we could get acclimated. I got sick of standing around so I just went ahead and plunged into the water. It’s the best thing to do really. Season followed soon after but Sara was determined to just stand there and slowly go deeper.

After pissing themselves (unfortunately me being down current from them) we started to swim around a little. It was great to finally be in the big lake again. I didn’t realize how much I missed it. The swimming part was pretty limited as we just began to talk the shit. Season floated the idea of getting a boat and go to Chicago that way. It wasn’t meant to be serious but I thought, “Why not?” Chicago is only 45 miles at a straight shot. To address Sara’s fear of fresh water sharks (which she thinks maybe in the lake) we could just start out in Michigan City and just hug the shoreline until we got to the Windy City. The problem of course, is how are we going to get a boat, and what are we going to do with it once we got to Illinois.



We left about an hour before the sun would set so we wouldn’t be cold. None of us had eaten yet so I suggested that we go to Pizza Hut and I offered to pay. Season directed to the one in Stevensville. I was worried about what they were going to order. I started to sweat when they started to list the things that they didn’t like. I guess you could say we compromised and got a supreme pizza (which had the sausage that Season didn’t like and the olives that Sara didn’t like… or maybe there wasn’t olives…) I was planning for a dinner for two meal deal and pay for one extra drink. They looked at me as if I was crazy. They weren't sure that it would be enough. I tell you, I had no idea that they could eat so much pizza and breadsticks. So we ended up getting a dinner for four when there were really only three of us!

Dinner conversation was pretty heavy, mainly centering around the problems with our friend Adam. Adam and I apparently don’t speak anymore. He thinks that I’m spending too much with Sara with whom he has an unhealthy obsession with. Even though I once held a flame for Sara, I no longer feel that way for her. She’s just one of my closest friends. I just wish my other one would believe that. Apparently, he hates the fact that Sara hangs with me that she had to lie and say that she was in Mishawaka with her cousin. It points out how abusive this guy would be in a relationship. So I guess Adam and I aren’t friends anymore and maybe that’s the best. It still sucks anyways.

Okay, the way these two were talking, I was beginning to think that I would be fighting them for table scraps. Yet, only half the pizza got eaten! They better not give me the “I’m such a heifer” speech ever again. So now I’ve got a half a large pizza in the fridge. Will I see it tomorrow? Probably not after my Dad and sis find it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?