I was able to make it home and I found out that it was a building across the street from me that caught on fire. I joined the crowd for a bit. You can't see the building here because of its position and the smoke... and my camera sucks but if you were there, you had a pretty good view of what was going on.
From what I've gathered, someone was cooking dinner and a grease fire started and spread. The entire building went up affecting some 35 residents. Firefighters from here and the surrounding communities all showed up, shutting down the main road going by.
I'm not sure how my complex is going to react yet. I'm not expecting my rent to stay the same when my lease is up for renewal though.