Happy Birthday America and Various States

<<--See also: "Celebrating 230 Years," and "My Fourth of July Celebration"

This year I didn't make any special plans for Independence Day. I suppose I could have seen what Erin or the rest of the gang were doing but I didn't feel like spending some cash this year. So it was back to basics which is just as great.

When I was younger and living in Niles, we would go and see the fireworks being set off near the airport. Then when we moved to our current location, we started going to the one in Baroda. A friend of my Dad's lived there and right on the edge of the field where the fireworks were set off. So we had a great party place to be.

Honestly, I think that Baroda has the best display in the county. While Saint Joe has an impressive display, it is short and flashy--a lot of stuff thrown up in a short amount of time. Baroda does theirs more slowly. Instead of Bang, Bang, Bang, you get a Bang-Pause-Bang-Pause-Bang. Also, there's more of a party like atmosphere to it. There's a lot of drinking, music, and food. People are wandering about--some drunkenly. Not to mention the locals will set off their illegal fireworks and they know the police won't do anything about it. It's great.

So last night my sister and I went to Baroda. It turned out pretty nice and we ended up getting right next to the launch area. We were so close that we were lying on our backs watching the explosions above us.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I agree that Baroda puts on a great display but have you tried Berrien Springs? I have always loved their display and am actually quite sad that Jed and I won't be able to see them this year. We are going to Indy's display downtown this evening though so we will see how those are.
David said…
Hey Laurie. I haven't seen Berrien Springs' display. Next time you are up let me know. If you can mark your calendars for Friday evening, Oct 19th, I've got to take you to the gay bar. Really, email me. Plus I've got a video clip about a teacher that you might find interesting.
David said…
Oh and one more thing. I saw Mrs. Hess the other day and I was absolutely stunned. You know, after I realized that it was her.
Kapitano said…
There are times I wish my country had a big annual celebration to commemorate our defeat of the English.

I'm sure there's a reason we don't. Can't quite remember it though. :-)
David said…
^Huh? I thought you were English. Are you a Scotsman?
Anonymous said…
Hello, David.
The Brazilian Independence Day is on September 7th. So it's still a little ahead.
But congratulations to you guys for this day!
Since living in Japan I've realised that nobody does firework displays better than the Japanese. They have displays that last up to 30 minutes fantastic! It's coming up to Hanabi festival time .... I'm excited!
David said…
^I don't know, in some places in America, our shows go on for that amount of time and they'll be choreographed(sp?) to music and shoot off lazers and firebombs.

Popular posts from this blog

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Meet Bob

Am I financing? Bwah ha ha ha!