My World

As always, clicking on the picture will link to a larger copy.

Everyone likes pictures so I thought that I would start posting more of them. For the next week or so, I’m going to start putting up pictures of places that are around where I live. No matter where you live, there’s always something to see or do. If nothing else, it should give you a glimpse into my world.

While I claim that I am from Niles, I actually live in Galien. Well, technically I live in Weesaw Township. The Village of Galien has a population of about 500 people. The picture you see here is of “downtown.” While the village boasts of significant businesses, the three worth noting is the Bungalow bar, The gas station (also known as The Pro), and Eats N Sweets. Recently, our grocery store and Chemical Bank closed. Oh and the high school that I graduated from, closed but reopened as an alternative education center. When the post office goes, the village will probably be declared dead.

This is downtown Niles. Niles has a few other shopping districts, but this is old town built on a hill overlooking the St. Joseph River. Niles is called the City of Four Flags because this area was controlled, at one time or another, by four countries. France, Great Britain, Spain, and then the United States. In a future post I will get around to some more of Niles and the buildings there.

Comments

Moncrief Speaks said…
When were the buildings of downtown Niles built, do you think?

I like how they look just that much more eastern (as in the East Coast) than the small-town downtown buildings here: they were probably built a few decades before. Some of them could be in Philadelphia.
Minge said…
What a beautiful place. I love historical American architecture, even repro. Here in the UK, repro is often vile and fake. I know that sounds like a contradiction, but repro American buildings are strictly not repro at all, but that's a whole other debate. Whichever, the place is beautiful and you are lucky.
David said…
@Moncrief: I'm not sure. If I had to guess, I would say around the 1880s for most of them. I will be posting why downtown Niles looks very different from the downtown Niles of the 1990s

@Minge: Is that reproduced? No, those building are the real McCoy and I love the way old towns like these are being restored. My favorites though are the old Lake town that have a more New England seaside look.
Anonymous said…
Hello, David!
I had exams at university this week. But now I'm back.
Oh, man! I must say you live in a very nice place! Beautiful!
And it seems also a very calm place.
Anyway, you gave me a good idea for posting something in my blog next month.
Well, hugs!
Moncrief Speaks said…
When did Michigan become a state, btw? I'm too lazy to look it up. 1830s?
David said…
@Carioca: Thank you. I do think think that my own little corner of America is beautiful but the same can be said of many other places. Except Detroit.

I look forward to seeing what you post.

@Moncrief: Michigan became the 26th state on the 26th day of 1837. Wow, fifth grade Michigan History really did come in handy after all these years... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?