I should be out on a Friday night...

…but I’m stuck on the couch watching Stargate!

I’m so pumped now that two of my favorite shows are back.

Stargate SG-1:

The episode began with the SG-1 fleeing a dragon, the last test that they would have to pass in order to get access to the sangral, or the holy grail. Eventually they do by speaking the guardian’s name which immediately reminded me of the The Fellowship of the Ring when they opened that gate at Khazad Dum. The team is transported to another planet where they find that the sangral was probably destroyed by Morgan le Fay. But they do find Merlin who would know how to make another one. Merlin, however, is too old to do the work and dies but before leaving a way for Daniel to complete the work. The episode ends with Daniel being captured by the Orici after sacrificing himself to allow the rest of the team to make it back to Earth.

While they were fighting the dragon, I was thinking to myself where Merlin might be. After all, they were sticking to the legend and if they brought up Morgan le Fay, I thought maybe he’s around too because I remembered…um, from Doctor Who… that Merlin had been sealed in an ice cave. And then look what happens moments later in the episode—they find Merlin.

It seems that Ancients don’t last very long on that show. At least the non-ascended ones don’t. I was kind of hoping that Merlin would stick around a little longer and maybe show off some more of those ancient tricks that he had. Actually, I thought it would be even more interesting if they would show Merlin with his darker persona. That is, he would still be that trickster who manipulates the situation to whatever ends he wants. Seeing SG-1 being played like a puppet would have put some interesting complexities into the story line. Would the team know they are being manipulated? When would they find out? How would they get out of a plot that seems to be geared towards their favor but probably imperiled their own safety?


Stargate Atlantis:

In the previous episode, the expedition evacuated Atlantis after a group of Ancients reclaimed the city. The Asurans attacked and killed the Ancients but somehow, Gen. O’Neill and the Doctor Mr. Woolsey survived. Dr. Weir and crew take back the city soon enough and everything is peachy.

Atlantis, I probably enjoyed the most out of the two shows that night. It was more simplistic but it had more of that quipy humor which makes me miss Richard Dean Anderson even more.

I heard that Carson is going to be killed. I’m hurt. I love Carson. He’s one of my favorite characters—right under Rodney.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi, David!

I loved The Return, pt 2!! I don't watch SG-1 anymore unless Rick is on. Hate the Ori scripts!!
John Provis said…
I think we're at least a couple of seasons behind the US on SG-1 here, and Atlantis tends to be shown after midnight randomly to fill in spare timeslots... if only I had cable. And if only they didn't waste all the primetime slots showing "celebrities" trying to learn to dance and/or morbidly obese people squabbling with each other, all in the name of alleged entertainment. Hooray for TV..!

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?