State of The Lake

Temperatures climbed above the freezing point the other day bringing us out of the sixth longest cold stretch in recorded history. Global warming, my ass.

As always, click on the pictures for a larger version.

I headed up to St. Joseph and the Lake to see what the view was like. I had been to Lake Michigan during winter only once before. I remember that I couldn't tell where the beach ended and the water began. I certainly didn't like the idea of walking along the ice. If I was going to go through, who knew how deep that water would have been.

I walked up on a cliff of ice. Based on the beach walls, I knew that I was standing about five feet above the sand. In the picture above you can see how much of a drop there is. And I'm certain that there is still a ways to go until you'd hit the bottom.

I felt like I was in the arctic searching for the Fortress of Solitude. (Is that it on the horizon?)

Looking towards Chicago.

If you look carefully, you can see the lighthouse. I would have loved to go on the pier. Unfortunately, I didn't quite know how to get to it. Walking on the ice was not the solution.

Up on the bluffs, I saw this opossum. I've never seen one in the daylight and alive at the same time.

Ah, open water. To my knowledge, only Lake Erie freezes over.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Climate and weather are two different things. A few-week-long stretch of cold weather certainly doesn't disprove or invalidate the many scientific studies demonstrating global climate change.
David said…
Certainly true. But I said that as a sort of defiant sarcastic remark.

1. It's an acknowledgement of climate change that I know is happening. This is the type of winter that my parents and grandparents experienced. This is the type of winter Michigan should be having (although it should have started a month earlier.)

2. It’s a jab at global “warming” when at this particular event, we are actually cooling.

3. It’s also a dismissal of environmental nutters that make me feel as if the world is going to end because of climate change.

Climate change is normal. Depending on what time period you pick, this era is either colder or warmer. Where the skepticism lies is whether this warming trend has dire consequences for the planet.

Popular posts from this blog

Meet Bob

Be fruitful and multiply...by ten.

Whatever happened to the Queer Golden Rule?